Grounding conductor from main 400 amp to sub 200 amp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelson electric

Christian
Occupation
Electrician
A residential client had a new solar array installed alongside with a new 400 amp panel at array. Then had a 200 amp sub feed to existing home 400' away and did a new 200 amp panel, with parallel 350 Al in same conduit :( without a grounding conductor. The contractor said no ground was needed whereas I disagree.
Can you verify for me if that is safe and to code?

Nelson electric

Christian
Occupation
Electrician
From some of the video discussions by Mike Holt on grounding, it can't get back to the source so it'll try through the uffer ground. Which, if I understand correctly, would have current in the ground around the earth ground and would dissipate as it try's to travel back to the source.
Which is no good and could have the potential of harm to anyone, or thing, close to that earth ground, especially if barefoot.
Am I correct?
If there is a line to case fault on the 200 amp sub, how does the fault current get back to its source?
From some of the video discussions by Mike Holt on grounding, it can't get back to the source so it'll try through the uffer ground. Which, if I understand correctly, would have current in the ground around the earth ground and would dissipate as it try's to travel back to the source.
Which is no good and could have the potential of harm to anyone, or thing, close to that earth ground, especially if barefoot.
Am I correct?

kwired

Electron manager
For other than service equipment you pretty much always need a grounding conductor. There can be situations (and they have become even less frequent since about 2005) where you may be able to use the grounded conductor for both grounded and grounding functions. Doesn't sound like your situation is one of those either.

Nelson electric

Christian
Occupation
Electrician
For other than service equipment you pretty much always need a grounding conductor. There can be situations (and they have become even less frequent since about 2005) where you may be able to use the grounded conductor for both grounded and grounding functions. Doesn't sound like your situation is one of those either.
That's what I was thinking too. So now I'll see what I can do to make it right for them.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Are the parallel 350s protected at 200 amps at the supply end? If they are, then the EGC will have to be 2/0 aluminum.

Status
Not open for further replies.