Grounding and Bonding Ethernet Powered Radio Antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the correct methods required to comply with NEC 830 in grounding and bonding the Radio and mounting Hardware for a network powered communications system. This is referred to as Power over the ethernet POE type radio with both a built in antenna in the 12 by 14 inch panel, or a remote antenna 6 foot away from the 12 by 14 inch panel.
Application one: The antenna is mounted at the top of a 60 foot wood pole with rigid conduit feeding from the building 100 feet away. The rigid conduit continues up the pole to a jbox and than metallic sealtite to the radio. Can the rigid conduit server as the ground to the bottom of the pole where it than is bonded to a ground rod? Or do I need an insulated number 6 stranded copper feeding from the Radio mounting hardware down the pole to the ground rod. What is also needed at the building?
Application two: The same as one but it is mounted on a steel water tower.
Application three: Mounted on a roof top next to a video camera. 120 volts is powering both low voltage transformers.
Finally, I know it is recommended to use a lightning surge protection such as polyphaser for POE, but is this required by code?

Option one the radios are fed using a Cat5 type cable. Option two the radios are fed with a coax type cable.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: Grounding and Bonding Ethernet Powered Radio Antennas

Any radio antenna mast is required to be grounded, the rules for this are in art 810, see section 810.20.
But if you run coax, the rules for coax are in Art 820. For coax you must ground the shield, this is what the cheapie ground blocks do. I recommend a polyphaser.
The grounding conductor is per that listed in 810.20(A) and can't be conduit.

AS per 810.21.F.1.d it appears that I can bond the antenna mast to the rigid conduit at the top of the pole and than again at the bottom to a ground rod using a number 6 copper.as per 810.21.J. Or do you interpret requiring a number 10 or larger as per 810.21.H and run from the mast down the pole to a ground rod?

[ June 27, 2005, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: Paul Morocco ]

automaton

Polyphaser is the ground for most radio transmitters. Just make sure its pointed the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.