grounded conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I believe if you make provisions for a neutral load then the egc would be the smallest that the grounded conductor could be. Obviously it could be larger base on the cal. of grounded conductors in 220.61. Did I answer your questions?

Dennis, I believe at one time there was a stipulation that the grounded conductor could not be smaller than the egc. I can not find any ref. to that in the codes that I have access to. It may have been a fpn that said normally you would not.[/quote]

That is exactly what has been said since mid thread. The neutral cannot be smaller the the egc but you don't necessarily need a neutral except at service.

215.2 Minimum Rating and Size.
(A) Feeders Not More Than 600 Volts.
(1) General. Feeder conductors shall have an ampacity not less than required to supply the load as calculated in Parts III, IV, and V of Article 220. The minimum feeder-circuit conductor size, before the application of any adjustment or correction factors, shall have an allowable ampacity not less than the noncontinuous load plus 125 percent of the continuous load.
Exception No. 1: Where the assembly, including the overcurrent devices protecting the feeder(s), is listed for operation at 100 percent of its rating, the allowable ampacity of the feeder conductors shall be permitted to be not less than the sum of the continuous load plus the noncontinuous load.
Exception No. 2: Grounded conductors that are not connected to an overcurrent device shall be permitted to be sized at 100 percent of the continuous and noncontinuous load.
The size of the feeder circuit grounded conductor shall not be smaller than that required by 250.122, except that 250.122(F) shall not apply where grounded conductors are run in parallel.
Additional minimum sizes shall be as specified in 215.2(A)(2) and (A)(3) under the conditions stipulated.

Status
Not open for further replies.