Ground.??

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
So I have 5" conduits(FRE with RGS elbows) coming into the bottom of this box, they have 4#500's. I have 4c/#500 2 hr rated MC cable coming out of the top of the box and I have to splice the wires.

Shouldn't there be a ground run within the FRE(fiberglass conduit). Even if so not sure what would happen once the transition happens as the armor on the MC cable is the ground.

1713892035166.png

1713892000031.png

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Unless there are service conductors in the FRE then yes there should be an EGC. These RMC elbows are underground?

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Unless there are service conductors in the FRE then yes there should be an EGC. These RMC elbows are underground?
When transitioning from below to aboveground RMC elbows are needed.

The feeder is from a spot network distribution board to an ATS then these conduits are from load side of ATS to the box.

If, in fact, and EGC was needed what the heck would happen to it in the box since the MC has no EGC??

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You would need a EGC in each of the elbows (and FRE) to bond the box and the elbows.
(sized based on the OCP on your 500s)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The EGCs would likely terminate on a grounding bar bonded to the enclosure with bond jumpers to the rigid elbows.

I have had no experience with Vitalink. You might need to bond the connectors (depending on voltage).
Infinity probably has that answer.