Ground rod wire in meter base

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG

Anything in the code preventing me from terminating my grounding electrode conductor from a ground rod to the meter base? I usually terminate this conductor in the main service panel, but on several occasions it would have been nice to use the meter base.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: Ground rod wire in meter base

There is nothing wrong with this as far as the NEC is concerned, however some POCO's will not allow it for weak reasons.

Roger

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

Originally posted by tom baker:
Our AHJ's won't allow the GEC to terminate in the meter as its not accessible after the meter is sealed by the POCO.
Its OK to make the service conductor termination inaccessible but not the GEC. What's the logic in that? :confused:

charlie

Accessible (as applied to wiring methods). Capable of being removed or exposed without damaging the building structure or finish or not permanently closed in by the structure or finish of the building.

Tom, I submit to you that the connections are accessible after sealing in accordance with the NEC definition shown above and in Article 100. :D

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Our utility, AmerenIP, requires a GEC connection in the meter for most residential applications.
Don

charlie

There is nothing wrong with this as far as the NEC is concerned, however some POCO's will not allow it for weak reasons.
Roger, before 1990 (that is when I became secretary of our "Goldbook" committee), we would not permit anyone to land in our meter fittings. The fear was that we would have to grant access to the connection. I used the same argument that Electricman2 posted to show how ridiculous that line of thinking was and now the GEC may land in our meter fittings.

It seems like that, sometimes, logic prevails. :D

hurk27

To add to that Charlie, The first line of defense from lightning should always be outside of a building. The meter fitting is about as good a place as any to do this connection. Remember the lightning strike current should be directed to the outside not inside then outside.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Charlie, the points you and John make are some of the "weak reasons" I was talking about.

Waynes point about keeping it outside is another good reason to land it in the meter can.

Here in the Southeast it has just always been the norm.

Roger

GG

I had one inspector that actually had me run a bare #4 from the lug in the meter base that is next to the neutral terminal, to the neutral buss in the main panel. I asked him if that would create a parallel path with the neutral conductor. He said "no it will not, it will bond the two enclosures". I didn't argue and installed it. I went back when he left and removed it. :D

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by hurk27:
To add to that Charlie, The first line of defense from lightning should always be outside of a building. The meter fitting is about as good a place as any to do this connection. Remember the lightning strike current should be directed to the outside not inside then outside.
Wouldn't that be "from the outside(sky) inside(water pipe)" as opposed to "from the outside(sky) to inside(MDP) to inside(water pipe)"?

Eventually, the goal of the system during a lightning strike seems to be to drive it inside, toward the water line. :)

Therefore, does it matter? Honestly, I've not dealt personally with a sticken house. :D

charlie

George, lightning is looking for the earth. If a ground rod is installed below the meter fitting and the GEC landed in the meter fitting, the closest path to earth would be through the ground rod, not the water pipe. The stroke would be attenuated quite a bit and it may not overstress the electrical system. :D

GG

Originally posted by georgestolz:
Well, I guess I'll quit hacking them in footlong pieces then... :D
Foot long peices? That means I can ground 8 services with 1 ground rod. Thats a savings of about $50. With the price of gas sounds like a winner to me. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.