Ground Rod causes Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgoslak

Fire destroys building. There is a ground rod within a foot of where the fire originated just outside a wooden wall where leaves were collecting. They performed thermal image of ground rod prior to restoring power, then immediately after restoring power and the temperature jumped up 40 deg. F above ambient then died off again.

240 Single Phase O/H service to commercial building.

Any thoughts?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: Ground Rod causes Fire

Poor neutral from the drop or service equipment.

Has anyone put an ampmeter on the GEC to see exactly how much current is flowing.

This can be dangerous in other ways also, think voltage gradient.

Roger

[ December 09, 2004, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: roger ]

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by mgoslak: Any thoughts?
Yea. If the building was destroyed, how did they restore power? :D

I?m not just being facetious. Whatever repairs were made, in order to permit them to restore power to the building, might just as easily have caused the situation you have described. Or perhaps the fire caused a ground fault that is making current leak trough to the ground rod. I see no evidence yet that the rise in ambient temperature had to have been occurring before the fire.

But I agree with Roger: Something is definitely wrong in this power system, and it should be treated as an immediate danger to human life. I would strongly recommend that any further investigation be carried out with extreme caution, with careful thought being given to personnel protective clothing (e.g., rubber boots).

Ed MacLaren

A couple of years ago, a fire insurance investigator asked for advice about a house fire he was working on.

It was discovered that the service grounding electrode conductor had become disconnected (or burned off) at the first ground rod, just below and a bit to one side of the meter location. It wasn?t fastened and was dangling in the wind.
At every point where it had touched the concrete foundation a spall of concrete was blown off, and at every point where it had touched the wood steps there was a burnt area, and at one point had set the steps afire.

The earth was dried out (baked, he called it) surrounding the ground rod. A fire started at the oil-fired water heater, which was connected to the outdoor (grounded) oil tank by a 3/8 inch copper tubing oil line.

This is what I think happened.

I believe that a winding-to-winding fault developed in the Power Co. transformer. Because the secondary neutral is normally tied to the grounded primary neutral, that should blow the high-voltage fuse in the primary cutout.

If the ground tie between the primary and secondary neutrals on the pole was open/broken/missing, the fault current would try to return to the primary neutral through the service grounding conductors, through the earth to another pole, and up the "butt-plate" ground wire to the primary neutral.

The service ground wire at the house burned off (or was previously disconnected) at the first ground rod. The fault current then tried to get to ground through the oil line to the grounded outdoor oil tank, burned off the 3/8 inch copper oil line and ignited the oil.

Any thoughts on this one?

Ed

jtester

I have seen similar instances, where the neutral between the transformer and the service equipment had become loose, or disconnected, and the ground was being required to act as a neutral.

There wasn't necessarily a fault, just neutral current being forced to flow through the ground.

Jim T

Status
Not open for further replies.