"ground level" for accessory buildings

sparkync

Is there anywhere in the code that defines "ground level" for "accessory buildings"? I have a customer whose floor level in his accessory building is 18" above ground.
Is this considered "ground level", and will it require "GFCI" outlets? Thanks

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
That is a problem with the code working...I have seen garages below grade level, but have never seen one "at grade level". They are always above grade level.
I would not see the floor of the building in question in this thread as being at grade level.
210.8(A)(2Garages and also accessory buildings that have a floor located at or below grade level not intended as habitable rooms and limited to storage areas, work areas, and areas of similar use.
There are PIs to fix this for the 2026 code that were accepted in the task group meeting, but not sure what happened in the First Draft Meeting.

sparkync

We checked with local inspector, and he says it "Does" have to have GFI's. Could not give a "valid" reason. I think the code needs to "define" what
"ground level" is, and "Why", a building that is set up off the ground needs to have GFI's installed. It's not likely that any body is going to be running a drop cord outside, when they have outlets already installed in the building. I'm surprised that they didn't do that years ago. It is a
misconception the way the code states it, ("at ground level or below ground level"). 18" off the ground is "not" at ground level.
Thanks for your inputs anyway.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
It is a misconception the way the code states it, ("at ground level or below ground level").
I think the unsaid assumption is that "ground level or below ground level" will have a concrete floor poured on grade or on a soil base. As such, the concrete is conductive and at ground potential. Houses sitting on a foundation, that have the first wood framed floor at or even lower than 18" above the outside grade would not require GFCI receptacles.

-Hal

sparkync

Thank you Hal. I wished the inspectors here thought of it that way :( . That's the best explanation of it I've ever heard. Wish they would include that in the code.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
We checked with local inspector, and he says it "Does" have to have GFI's. Could not give a "valid" reason. I think the code needs to "define" what
"ground level" is, and "Why", a building that is set up off the ground needs to have GFI's installed. It's not likely that any body is going to be running a drop cord outside, when they have outlets already installed in the building. I'm surprised that they didn't do that years ago. It is a
misconception the way the code states it, ("at ground level or below ground level"). 18" off the ground is "not" at ground level.
Thanks for your inputs anyway.
They will run cords from inside to outside to use electrical equipment outside. Neither garages or accessory buildings are required to have receptacles on the outside, so running cords from the inside receptacle is very common.

The change accepted at the task group meeting would replace "at or below grade level" with accessible from grade level. Will not know what was done at the first draft meeting until the First Draft Report is published on July 10th.

Since grade level is defined in some of the building codes, it is unlikely that there will ever be a definition of that in the NEC. I don't think any of the building codes would see a floor raised 18" as being at grade level

brycenesbitt

They will run cords from inside to outside to use electrical equipment outside. Neither garages or accessory buildings are required to have receptacles on the outside, so running cords from the inside receptacle is very common.
Yet if there is an outdoor GFCI, as in at a rear porch, won't we figure that's the outlet that will be preferentially used?

Separately in my area because of 16 foot height limits on Accessory Dwelling Units, we see a number of just below grade units. They go down the 6-24" inches needed to keep the roof height at the legal limit. MOST of these have slab floors, but not all.

brycenesbitt

The change accepted at the task group meeting would replace "at or below grade level" with accessible from grade level. Will not know what was done at the first draft meeting until the First Draft Report is published on July 10th.
A closer definition to the current status quo might be
"(1) Vehicle storage rooms with conductive flooring, including but not limited garages concrete floors, regardless of their relationship to grade".
--
And while we're at it what's a "boathouse"? That's a pretty loose definition. How about:
"(3) Outlets within 50' extension cord distance of the water surface of a swimmable or boatable body of water".

210.8(F) Outdoor Outlets. For dwellings, all outdoor outlets, other than those covered in 210.8(A), Exception No. 1, including outlets installed in the following locations, and supplied by single-phase branch circuits rated 150 volts or less to ground, 50 amperes or less, shall be provided with GFCI protection: (1) Garages that have floors located at or below grade level (2) Accessory buildings (3) Boathouses If equipment supplied by an outlet covered under the requirements of this section is replaced, the outlet shall be supplied with GFCI protection

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Here's a possible test: If a grade-level receptacle was required, would the one at +18" above grade qualify?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Here's a possible test: If a grade-level receptacle was required, would the one at +18" above grade qualify?
Don's post #9 says the new language might be 'accessible from grade' which would cover your example. Isn't this similar to outdoor receptacles and decks?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
A closer definition to the current status quo might be
"(1) Vehicle storage rooms with conductive flooring, including but not limited garages concrete floors, regardless of their relationship to grade".
--
And while we're at it what's a "boathouse"? That's a pretty loose definition. How about:
"(3) Outlets within 50' extension cord distance of the water surface of a swimmable or boatable body of water".

210.8(F) Outdoor Outlets. For dwellings, all outdoor outlets, other than those covered in 210.8(A), Exception No. 1, including outlets installed in the following locations, and supplied by single-phase branch circuits rated 150 volts or less to ground, 50 amperes or less, shall be provided with GFCI protection: (1) Garages that have floors located at or below grade level (2) Accessory buildings (3) Boathouses If equipment supplied by an outlet covered under the requirements of this section is replaced, the outlet shall be supplied with GFCI protection
There is nothing in your text about accessory buildings.

As far as 210.8(F), that is not intended to apply to receptacles inside a building and structure and will likely be revised to make that clear in the 2026 code.

It is far to late to submit any new changes for the 2026 code. The system to submit Public Inputs for the 2029 code will open in August or September of 2025 and close in September of 2026.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Yet if there is an outdoor GFCI, as in at a rear porch, won't we figure that's the outlet that will be preferentially used?

Separately in my area because of 16 foot height limits on Accessory Dwelling Units, we see a number of just below grade units. They go down the 6-24" inches needed to keep the roof height at the legal limit. MOST of these have slab floors, but not all.
Why would we think that? The outside one on the house may require a much longer cord that if you used a receptacle in a garage or accessory building.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Why would we think that? The outside one on the house may require a much longer cord that if you used a receptacle in a garage or accessory building.
... or through a window or door. I have seen people charging their EVs with an extension cord out of a second floor window.

The only solution to this is more outside receptacles.

-Hal

brycenesbitt

There is nothing in your text about accessory buildings.
The most recent accessory building I worked on was a library. Sliding bookshelves and a reading nook.
I'm not seeing an inherent connection between the building type and the outlet needs. It's just an assumption that
accessory buildings have power tools or lawn mowers.
--
California went to 100% EV Capable so at least for new buildings, that should cut down on the extension cords through 3rd floor bathroom windows snaking through the kids room to the hall, or whatever :).

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The most recent accessory building I worked on was a library. Sliding bookshelves and a reading nook.
I'm not seeing an inherent connection between the building type and the outlet needs. It's just an assumption that
accessory buildings have power tools or lawn mowers.
--
California went to 100% EV Capable so at least for new buildings, that should cut down on the extension cords through 3rd floor bathroom windows snaking through the kids room to the hall, or whatever :).
I think it is more of a an assumption that the accessory building has a conductive floor.
Not seeing how the EV capable changes anything as often that will be a circuit other than a 15 or 20 amp 125 volt circuit.

brycenesbitt

I think it is more of a an assumption that the accessory building has a conductive floor.
Ok, so maybe the code should trigger on
"rooms with conductive floors, including but not limited to concrete, with exterior doors leading to grade level".
Not seeing how the EV capable changes anything as often that will be a circuit other than a 15 or 20 amp 125 volt circuit.
Someone used EV charging as the "out the window" example, that's all. If you have an EV capable house the barrier is lower to get a proper
EVSE circuit which will be off except when in use.... no live cord out the window needed.