Ground Fault Protection - Immersion Heater

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhee

Does 427.22 require GFP for a 6 KW water bath heater? 427.22 is within Section III "Resistance Heating elements", but the text of this section references only electric heat tracing and heating panels. The bath heater in question would be controlled by a 3 pole "across-the line" starter.

kiloamp7

Re: Ground Fault Protection - Immersion Heater

Is this a regular water heater ?
If so, no - Art. 427 does not apply, try Art. 422.
Also interesting that you would use a "motor starter" as the controller. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just that that is not normally how a water heater of the 6Kw size
is done.

nhee

Not sure what is meant by "regular water heater". Its not potable water, its providing anti-freeze protection for an industrial heat exchanger.

For this equipment, 3 pole contactor is standard control method for the 3 ph. heater. I've not seen GFP used, but in reading 427, was not sure whether NEC required the GFP. I'm thinking that no GFP is needed.

tony_psuee

nhee,

We use heaters as part of a cooling product and I don't think the NEC clearly defines that application. It is not an appliance heater, Article 422, could be a fixed electric space-heating element, Article 424. However, these 3-phase are typically used where piping is heat traced, Article 427. Based on that we follow the GFP guidelines. I got feedback from a contractor in NC that states that is state law, at least in his words. It may be overkill, however I like what I have heard from others here, "the NEC is not a design manual it is a minimum safety standard."

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.