Ground clips on metal plates w/ plastic box

Status
Not open for further replies.

eagle

Can someone point me to code section on AHJ requiring ground clip on a metal plate cover installed over plastic box. If the receptacle is properly grounded doesn't the yoke provide adequate ground. I'm surely missing something.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Re: Ground clips on metal plates w/ plastic box

Yes, the yoke will provide the ground just as it would with a metal box, but even better since the ground is hard wired rather than just relying on the screws. I have never heard of plate grounding clips. :confused:

-Hal

eagle

As I said, I too agree in principle the yoke performs but local AHJ sees it differently and requires it. I would like to know if other AHJ's are requireing it and what the basis is ..

s.d. cronk

The only times that I know of us requiring a separate equipment grounding termination to a metal cover was if it was blank cover installed on a non-metallic box per 314.25a and 250.110.

jerryb

I believe the confusion comes from Article 250.146.A which is written for surface metal boxes and the receptacle is mounted to the box cover. Then you need a bonding jumper from the box to the cover. Also paragraph B says that "contact devices or yokes designed for the purpose shall be permitted in conjunction with the supporting screws to establish the grounding circuit between the device yoke and flush type boxes."

eagle

Thanks to all... using the referneces i traced it to 404.12 where the handbook shows excatly what to do. As long as plate screws are metallic the receptacle ground and connection at yoke are all thats needed.

SD Cronks help on the blank plates now makes perfect sense. NO yoke so you need the jumper.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.