Green GEC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricmanscott

Do you guys tape your GEC green? I see some that do some that don't. I don't. I did once upon a time as a young naive electrican. An inspector "made me" tape every foot along an insulated #4 through a basement. :roll: Live and learn!

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: Green GEC?

There is no color code requirement for the GEC. However the more I know the less I know (about the nec) so if you can find the requirement for the band of green tape I would appreciate it.

bphgravity

I like the idea that GEC's should have the same identification requirements as EGC's as specified in section 250.119. Perhaps a proposal is in order for the 2008?

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by petersonra:
A band of green tape at both ends of the wire ought to be adequate.
That would be right beside where it is connected to the grounding electrode or the grounding bus.

A qualified person looking at a conductor connected to a grounding electrode or grounding bus will know what the conductors function is.

Will a band of green tape help an unqualified person understand that conductors function?

Why would an unqualified person need to know that anyway?

Tape if you want, I don't see the point, that aside we get job specs that call for green insulation on GECs.

pierre

Bob is all too correct!!!!!
I was inspecting some work the other day and the electrician used green tape on a phase leg to protect against some copper showing at the wirenut (he did not have any black tape). An UNQUALIFIED individual may think that the splice is an equipment ground.

Hence, this is why I am so adamant that only professionals or people supervised by professionals should be performing electrical work.

hornetd

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician, Retired

Originally posted by pierre:
Bob is all too correct!!!!!
I was inspecting some work the other day and the electrician used green tape on a phase leg to protect against some copper showing at the wirenut (he did not have any black tape). An UNQUALIFIED individual may think that the splice is an equipment ground.

Hence, this is why I am so adamant that only professionals or people supervised by professionals should be performing electrical work.
Pierre
I'm not unsympathetic to your position because I have seen a fair amount of hack job work. I work with a lot of homeowners who have obviously done their own work on some things. What I try to do is steer them towards a good guide book such as wiring simplified and coach them whenever they need it. I get a lot of repeat work in return for taking a few calls and going by the home when needed. I guess I have come to the conclusion that attempting to suppress do it yourself work will just drive it underground were there will be no second look at the job at all.
--
Tom H

pierre

Tom
The areas that I inspect in, require a licensed electrical person to install electrical work. There are steep penalties for those that are not licensed who get caught installing electrical work.
Yet license or not, the work can get pretty bad.
On the flip side I just want to say that there are a lot of excellent electricians in our area :D

In NY State a person involved in cutting hair has to take a certified course, and maintain 10 hours of continuing education a year to be able to work.
An "electrician" does not have any of these requirements :eek: :confused:

Pierre

jimwalker

In Fl. a home owner can wire his own house.Is this not allowed in other states ?
As to bad work ,i would think its up to the inspector to catch it if he can.Do any other supervisors really inspect every thing helpers do ? I do not have enough time to be doing that.Either you trust the helper or send him down the road.

charlie

I believe (I do not know for sure) that Joe Homeowner has the right to wire, plumb, repair, build, etc. his own home. He may be required to have it inspected or to meet simple requirements but he can do whatever he wants to his own home. :confused:

luke warmwater

Here, a homeowner must live in the residence, pull a homeowner's permit, and have the work inspected.
A homeowner cannot get a permit for a swimming pool or hot tub, and cannot do work in a home that they rent-out, or for commercial work.

Status
Not open for further replies.