Grding metal switch boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Re: Grding metal switch boxes

Not according to 250.148(A). Most clamp screws I've seen do not have large enough heads to properly secure a conductor anyway.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

I see no problem using the 10-32 clamp screw to bond the box as long as the clamp itself has been removed.
Don

john p

I believe the screw is ok but you should at least take a green marker to it.

jro

electricman2
Not according to 250.148(A). Most clamp screws I've seen do not have large enough heads to properly secure a conductor anyway.
I agree, thats what I have been trying to say all along, and wouldn't it be much better to use a green ground screw w/pigtail, g-clip, or green ground screw, it may keep you from getting a red tag, taking a chance on somthing as simple as that is IMO not worth the trouble. Most inspectors I deal with need to see a green ground screw or they will give a red tag. But then everybody on this forum says any screw, with the exception of a sheetmetal screw, will do as a ground screw.

pierre

The requirement for a green hex head screw is for devices, not in boxes. It certainly does not hurt to use the green hexhead screw, but it is not required.
The only real difference between the screw that holds the clamp in and the hexhead is color and the head is a little larger with serrations. I firmly believe the clamp screw will perform just fine. There are bigger fish to fry :D
The stranded pigtail with the stakeon fitting is a nice way to go, easy and fast.

Pierre

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

I make mine with 12 AWG stranded and a non insulated fork connector.
Ideal sells the premade green pig tails in a varity of configurations.

electricmanscott

The clamp screw works as well as the hex screw if the clamp is removed and you wrap the wire around it properly . It is perfectly legal unless your boxes come with sheet metal screws for the clamps. Can anyone point out anything that says it has to be green? :roll:

[ November 15, 2003, 07:28 AM: Message edited by: electricmanscott ]

cpro123

I'm an inspector and we will allow the clamp screw to be used as long as their are no wires coming through the clamp.The screws grounding boxes just have to be machine screws they do not have to be green & cannot be the mounting screw.

iwire

Staff member

The question of if a grounding screw needs to green seems to come up a lot.

I have been on jobs and been told that also.

Why? :eek:

But in the case of grounding a box how would a green screw do anything to improve safety? :confused:

tonyi

The only thing I can think of is if conductor colors have been redesignated. Maybe you have a load of say 12-3 AC you wanted to use up and were going to use the red as a gnd wire where something called for an insulated gnd.

Should be pretty obvious though - if its under a box screw its the gnd. If the box is hot, then there's an issue :p

hs545

My house was built in the 50s, all of the boxes are metal. The gound wire is wrapped around the insulated portion of the wire and is under the wire clamp of the box. Is this OK or should I change these over to a grounding screw or clip?

tonyi

Originally posted by hs545:
gound wire is wrapped around the insulated portion of the wire and is under the wire clamp of the box
I've seen this hack lots of times in older places...

IMO its pretty bogus/sleazy/(add your own derisive adjectives here) . Essentially its using a NM connector to maintain gnd path integrity of the system - a purpose an ordinary NM connector was never designed to do or listed for.

If its that old cloth bound NM ("crumble wire") you have to treat it gently, and the gnds are undersized and need gentle treatment too to avoid breaking them. The NM clamp may have bunged them up a bit when it was torqued down.

earlydean

I'll give my age away here, but when I was first apprenticed, the old guy who was assigned to "show em the ropes", showed me how to wrap the wire around the Romex like that. He maintained the grounding connection was just as good, if not better, than using the clamp screw! (there were no threaded holes for a 10-32) Those days are long gone, now. The reasoning behind not allowing the clamp screw to be used is, IMO, because it may become loose, or it may not be tightened enough. It has been only recently (30 years or so) that grounding has become the standard. I recall when GFCIs first made their appearance. Nobody wanted to use them because of all the nuisance tripping. It turned out that everybody had defective and dangerous equipment, and the GFCIs were saving lives. Go figure.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by tonyi:
I've seen this hack lots of times in older places...
I agree with you that is hack now but that was how trade schools where teaching how to do it. :eek:

tonyi

It was one less wire nut and gnd screw per box. Most j-boxes of era weren't pretapped for a 10-32, and would need to be tapped. Gnd clips hadn't shown up yet at that point. Less box fill - smaller boxes.

cheap/fast, cheap/fast yea, that's the ticket :D

I suppose there was a "comfort factor" for people familiar with AC as well. Wrapping bond wires around armor had been (still is) common practice. Although a lot of people still don't really understand how that bond wire really works...

Status
Not open for further replies.