Grain-Oriented Electric Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJWalecka

Perhaps someone could provide additional insight or reference materials regarding the enlarging and orientating of the Steel grains

Grain-Oriented:
Any electrical steel product in which, through the steelmaking process, the natural steel grains have been enlarged and oriented in the rolling direction to enhance the travel of the magnetic flux. Typical applications for Grain-Oriented materials are Transformers, Ballasts, and Magnetic Flux Shielding. Grain-Oriented materials are produced, typically, in two gauges .011" and .014" nominals.

I did not realize so much went into the making of the steel for Transformers and Ballasts. Thank you for your time.

Justin J. Walecka

JJWalecka

LTV Steel had some info:

"LTV Steel is the largest producer of cold rolled steel lamination sheet for electrical equipment. LTV Steel continues to demonstrate a strong commitment to the electrical steel market -- in terms of high quality, uniform products, technical support, active research and development and investment in modern processing and technology such as vacuum degassing.

Justin J. Walecka

Last edited:

JJWalecka

I'm still searching. I thought perhaps some would be interested in some of what I found.

Electrical steel, also called silicon electrical steel, is a type of specialty steel that contains relatively high amounts of silicon, 3 to 4.5%, in order to produce certain magnetic properties, such as low core loss and high permeability. It is usually in the form of cold-rolled strips less than 2 mm thick, which are called laminations when packed together.

There are two main types of electrical steel, grain-oriented and non-oriented. Both contain 3 to 3.5% silicon, but some electrical steel may have up to 4.5% silicon, which increases electrical resistance. Carbon, sulfur, oxygen and nitrogen levels must be low, as they increase eddy currents and hysteresis losses while decreasing permeability. Carbon has the worst effect and also causes magnetic aging, resulting in an increase in power loss over time. Annealing the steel in a decarburizing atmosphere, such as hydrogen, reduces levels of carbon. Electrical steel is usually coated to increase electrical resistance between laminations and to provide resistance to corrosion or rust. There are various coatings, organic and inorganic, and the coating used depends on the application of the steel.

Grain-oriented electrical steel usually has a silicon level of 3% and is processed in such a way that the optimum properties are developed in the coil rolling direction. Magnetic flux density is increased by 30% in the oriented steel, and it has a glass-like surface that provides insulation. However, its magnetic saturation is decreased. Grain-oriented electrical steel is used for the core of high-efficiency transformers, motors and generators.

Non-oriented electrical steel usually has a silicon level of 3 to 4.5% and has similar magnetic properties in all directions. It is less expensive and is used in similar applications when efficiency is less important or when there is insufficient space to correctly orient components to take advantage of the directional properties of grain-oriented electrical steel.

Justin J. Walecka

JJWalecka

Ramdiesel3500,

"That is some really interesting stuff!!
I learned something new today!
Thanks!"

LOL. I try to learn at least one thing a day. It is one more thing that I didn't know yesterday. Thank you for appreciating me posting it.

Justin J. Walecka

Status
Not open for further replies.