Gigging lights

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I wouldn't want to be the one dropping 120V lighting off the side of a boat. Enough issues with shore power and pools.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Those suckers draw a lot of power at 12 volts. Nieces boy called and wants to know how to run those off a 120 volt generator. Do they make A/C to DC power supplies for that purpose?

About 400 watts each at 12 volts. Times 3.

Next question. Use 120 volt fixtures?

i would use deep cycle lithium batteries, but I think when they see what its going to cost to power their over-lit rig they’ll re-think just how much light they need. A 200Ah lithium is about $1k and the charger is another $200.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
i would use deep cycle lithium batteries, but I think when they see what its going to cost to power their over-lit rig they’ll re-think just how much light they need. A 200Ah lithium is about $1k and the charger is another $200.
They were leaning towards the lithium but I don't know if they had priced them yet.

The LED units can change color to help viewing in dirtier water. Fancy stuff.

Occupation
EC - retired
This is what some boats use.

They were looking at similar, but larger. Their question was if they could run their 12v lights from the 12v, 8 amp supply of the gen they had in mind. Uh, No. Not when each light draws 33 amp.

Todd0x1

Whats the make/model of the light? Are they halogen or something? You sure its not LED and 400 watts is an equivalent brightness used in the marketing? 400W of LED is a stadium light.

Here's a couple >400W 12vdc switching power supplies, last one is a IP67 LED power supply.

Occupation
EC - retired
Whats the make/model of the light? Are they halogen or something? You sure its not LED and 400 watts is an equivalent brightness used in the marketing? 400W of LED is a stadium light.

Here's a couple >400W 12vdc switching power supplies, last one is a IP67 LED power supply.
They haven't given me that information. I googled gigging lights & came up with a few.
The one time I went, I believe the rig had 500 watt quartz fixtures with a small generator for power.