GFI

Status
Not open for further replies.

syjohn34

Will a GFI not kick out if not grounded. I could not get it to kick out at all, I was wondering if this occurs because of no ground. If so what will the inspector think? Thanks:)

iwire

Staff member
Re: GFI

Look at 2002 NEC 406.3(D)(3)(b) it allows using GFCI receptacles as replacements where no ground exists, or think of GFCI breakers, no ground connection here either.

GFCIs do not need a ground to operate, they trip when there is a difference in current (typically 5ma or more) between hot and neutral.

bphgravity

The grounding conductor is not a current carrying conductor. Its main purpose is for short circuit and GROUND-FAULT protection. Ground-fault in this case meaning a direct ungrounded to ground contact, not change in current flow from ungrounded to grounded conducors. It sounds like your GFI may be defective or damaged. Make sure you have not mixed your line and load wiring as well.

eprice

I'll echo Bennie's question. How are you testing the GFCI? It is my understanding that a plug in type tester will not trip a GFCI receptacle w/o a ground. That doesn't mean the GFCI is not working. Try the test button on the GFCI if haven't already.

syjohn34

Hey thanks alot fellas. I was using a three prong tester and trying to kick it out with that. Have not been around remodeling very much at all. Thanks for all your help.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Mike, a GFCI tester will not trip a GFCI with out a ground. But as others have said, the GFCI is probably still functional. The test button will trip the unit.

Roger

iwire

Staff member

eprice and Roger make a good point, to cause a GFCI to trip the current has to "Go" some where other than Neutral so a plug in tester would need a ground to operate.

If this outlet is near something that is grounded (plumbing) you could use wiggy's from hot to a ground to test the GFCI, though this will not let you know how many milliamps it is tripping at.

[ April 11, 2003, 04:51 AM: Message edited by: iwire ]

bennie

Esteemed Member

The internal test circuit is a more positive status test than a plug in tester.

A GFCI that does not trip, with the test button, is defective.

The bad part is the test can blow the activating circuit, making the GFCI defective, and it still can be reset for operation.

After the test, you can not be sure the device will still perform.

The test only verifies the past condition not the present. :eek:

[ April 11, 2003, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: bennie ]

hornetd

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician, Retired

Originally posted by bennie:
The internal test circuit is a more positive status test than a plug in tester.

A GFCI that does not trip, with the test button, is defective.

The bad part is the test can blow the activating circuit, making the GFCI defective, and it still can be reset for operation.

After the test, you can not be sure the device will still perform.

The test only verifies the past condition not the present. :eek:
That may be true of the old units but as the new ones become available it will not be so. The new GFIs will not reset if the mechanism has failed.
--
Tom

bennie

Esteemed Member

There will be no gain with a fail safe device. In high failure areas the people will discard them and install a plain receptacle.

I understand the proposal to require the fail safe type was rejected due to there only being one manufacturer.

Regardless, I would toss one when it failed and never replace it.

gserve

Just the other day I was testing 10 GFCI receptacles in a modular home. I had just purchased a new Ideal tracer with a GFCI tester. The new tester would not trip any of the 10 GFCI receptacles in the home! But pressing the test button on all of them did trip them. These were Pass&Seymour with the little amber light that glows when tripped. Went back to the truck and got my old Ideal GFCI tester and it tripped all 10 of them.Went down the basement and checked 2 of them (They were Leviton) and they tripped with the new tester. Talked to the Ideal rep and they said if it tripped the Leviton GFCI's than the tester was alright so it must be 10 defective GFCI receptacles. The AHJ said if the test button tripped them than they were alright. Go figure!

bennie

Esteemed Member

The test resistor in most brands of GFCI's is a 15K. This creates an 8 ma unbalance.

A 30K resistor will create a 4 ma unbalance.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Gserve, I have an ideal cicuit tracer with GFCI tester also. I have had mine for about 4 yrs now and haven't used it for GFI testing in about 3 1/2.

I do remember having this same problem, sometimes it would work and sometimes it wouldn't.
I could take my GB 501 or Hubbell GFT-2G and trip the units.

One way to check your tester is to put a digital ohm meter across the hot and ground terminal and read with the button depressed. You should read between 15K and 18K ohms.

Roger

[ April 11, 2003, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

gwz2

Several years ago had three of the bug-eye GFCI testers, won't say which brand, that gave intermittent results.

Found that the resistor had a "cold" solder joint in each one of the units.

Glenn

hurk27

Another problem with testers is the circuit voltage if you have a receptical voltage is at 120v then it might trip, but if the circuit voltage is low like 109v it might not. I have a greenlee with diffrent settings and at the 5ma. setting it is very dependent on circuit voltage and if it is low I will usely have to use the next setting up which is the 7ma. setting.

fallssparky

The test resistor in most brands of GFCI's is a 15K. This creates an 8 ma unbalance.

A 30K resistor will create a 4 ma unbalance.
How exactly does that work, is there a voltage devider feeding the OP-AMP to make it switch/ ..er change state and open the contacts ?
From what I remember about OP-AMPS they cant dissapate a lot of power before they smoke.

Fallssparky

hurk27

they dont use a voltage divider. they use a current coil and run just the neutral and hot through it if the send current on the hot is equal to the return on the neutral then there is no current developed in the coil but if there is a diffreance then it will actavate the tripping electronics and open the relay. so if current is being pulled from ground or a neutral of another circuit it will trip because of the higher current on the hot than on the neutral.

Status
Not open for further replies.