Gfi in Laundry

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnbob

I have a receptacle 4' from a laundry sink in a laundry room, does this require a gfi? 210-8 says no. The old within 6' of a sink rule is gone, isn't it?

bphgravity

Re: Gfi in Laundry

Is the receptacle serving a countertop surface space that is apart of the sink assembly?

[ April 16, 2004, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: bphgravity ]

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Bp I know where you are going with this....A wet bar ia a BAR.2002 it`s not an issue.A laundry room sink even if there is a counter should,but isn`t considered a wet bar.

bphgravity

Okay, you caught me! :eek: I just like the idea of gfi protection in areas where a person is using hand-held, cord-and-plug connected equipment in one hand while turning on a faucet with the other. :D

dnbob

Thanks for the responses, I was pretty sure I didn't have to, but it sure seems like a good idea in an area where there is countertop next to a laundry sink.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Oh agreed since a homeowner will probably use an iron on or nr=ear that recepatcle and the sink.But we are dealing with the NEC and it`s always cut and dry :confused:

shaun

However depending on the 6' rule of wall space with that length should have an outlet and being that the "assumed" wet bar is 4' from where the outlet is, would you not have to apply both rules. Now, don't get me wrong I am just asking, because I ran into a very similar problem the other day and The inspector said that it had to be GFCI. Then again, that maybe AHJ, pulling their power! What do you think? :roll:

dnbob

Shaun, the 6' rule of wall space does not apply to Laundry areas, 210-52f '99 states that at least one receptacle is required, but that recept. can be limited to the 20 amp laundry ckt.

Bob

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

A wet bar is a wet bar,a place to mix drinks either alcohol or gatorade.Not a place to prewash your dirty socks.Should it be GFCI protected IMHO yes but does it have to .NO !!!!!!

I just read the Report on Comments (available at NFPA's web site) and it looks like they have finally given in - we will have a requirement in the 2005 code for GFCI protection of all receptacles serving countertops within 6 feet of sinks. They're basically taking the requirements for wet bars and removing the words "wet bar" so it will now apply to laundries too.

Douglas Hansen

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Here is the final panel action on comment 2-38:
Panel Meeting Action: Accept in Principle
Revise the text in 210.8(A)(7) to read as follows:
?(7) Laundry, Utility, and Wet Bar Sinks. Where the receptacles are installed within 1.8 m (6 ft) of the outside edge of the sink.?
Panel Statement: The panel has revised the title to include sinks other than those in kitchen and bathroom locations because they are covered by other provisions. The panel deleted the reference to countertop surfaces because not all laundry sinks are installed in a countertop.
Of course this could still be changed at the May meeting, but I don't think that will happen.

2005 ROC

Don

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Finally a clarity in the nec wow :D

Status
Not open for further replies.