GFI code

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockinrmt

Occupation
Project manager
I am having an issue with boilers being on GFI breakers. Most of them do not agree with being on a GFI and seem to "nuisance trip" at random. These boilers have electronic igniters which I have heard can cause this issue. Is there any reason per the NEC that they absolutely have to be GFI protected? Some are located in garages and some are in "boiler rooms". They are currently just plugged in to a receptacle and I know that basically all receptacles in garages have to be on a GFI but wondered if I could hard wire it to bypass that code. The panel is in the garage as well so no disconnect should be needed. As far as the one in the boiler room goes does it need to be GFI protected since maybe it's considered a wet location or could I also possibly hardwire it with a disconnect and put it on a normal breaker rather than a GFI breaker? I know back in the day you could put in a single receptacle for appliances in garages for example and not have to be GFI protected but that has since changed I believe. This is in a glorified apartment complex for reference. Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.