GFEP/GFCI for pier wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

sailingharry

New User
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer (PE)
I am working up an electrical install for a new pier. Existing service exists to the pier, but requires some upgrades, and I'm having trouble sourcing big Ground Fault breakers.
* Existing panel is a GE THQL. The existing breaker is a Cutler Hammer BR260 (60A). The existing feed is #2AL (apparently upsized to support the ~100' run to the pier). I need to upgrade this to a GF breaker, ideally a 30ma breaker (actually, ideally, a 100ma breaker -- but that appears to be a bridge too far). The problem is that there does not appear to be a breaker that meets the requirements. Eaton makes a 5ma breaker that goes to #4 wire (copper only, no room to upsize). They only make 30ma breakers to 50A, and they only support #8 (that's an impossible condition!). Other vendors are even more challenging.
* New panel is wide open on choices. There needs to be either 2 single pole (preferred), or 1 double pole, 50A GF breaker serving a power pedestal. The pedestal contains individual breakers (not GF), serving 2 30A 120V shore power outlets and a 20A GFCI outlet. Ideally, these would be 30ma breakers, but 5ma would meet code. Service to the power pedestal will be #6 copper.
I'm quite frustrated by what appears to be a complete lack of equipment to meet what should be a realtively simple design.
I believe that code does allow me to have 100ma at the house panel, 30ma at the load center, and 5ma for the 2 smaller circuits (one power, one lighting). Lower trip levels are permitted, even if they create nuissance trips. Correct me if I am wrong!

So, the question -- any suggestions on sources of material, or alternative design solutions?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am closing this thread in accordance with forum rules. We are not allowed to assist a person who is not an electrician to perform their own electrical installation work.

Status
Not open for further replies.