GFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

jperez

Okay below find my problem my facility in OH recently got cited for non compliance on 1910.305(j)(2)(ii) Receptcales installed in wet or damp locations were not suitable for the location

a. by restroom receptacle used for water fountain(Production)
b. by restroom receptacle used for water fountain (office)

It was a $1275.00 citation yet by reading some other forums I read that in industrial sights this is not necessary? So who is correct OSHA or NEC?

websparky

Re: GFCI

I believe that OSHA is correct -IF- the floor around these drinking fountains was wet or had the potential to be wet when they did their inspection.

OSHA is all about protecting the employee!

hurk27

Re: GFCI

Dave I think they were sited for having a duplex receptacle instead of a single receptacle. as the intent of the OSHA rule as stated here;

GFCI's are intended to protect the individual using a cord- and plug-connected tool or
appliance.
Yes a water cooler is a appliance but it's not something that would be plugged in and unplugged every time you would use it. thus no shock hazard?

And the fact that there own document states that the GFCI is not a requirement!

In conclusion, although 29 CFR 1910.305 does not require that a GFCI be used , it is
definitely one way to meet the intent of the standard for protecting employees from electrical
shock in wet and damp locations. Therefore, installation of a GFCI would be an adequate
means to fulfill the requirements of 29 CFR 1910.305(j)(2)(ii) and provide an extra margin
of safety when employees are exposed to potential electrical shock hazards. Use of GFCI's
would also satisfy the requirements of DOE Order 6430.1A, Section 1605-2.3, as stated
above. It is important that the GFCI be installed correctly and that management evaluate
each area to establish the potential for employee exposure to shock hazards.
So how can they be find if it is not required!
I think this one is beatable

[ March 09, 2004, 12:30 AM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.