GFCI Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshaw2

Can anyone tell me if there are requirements for testing GFCI receptacles on a regular basis. I have seen several recommendations from manufacturers and NFPA online, but no specific code sections. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: GFCI Testing

The code applies to the activities of the designers, installers, and inspectors. It does not tell the homeowner or building tenant how to operate the equipment.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Yes there are requirments for testing GFCI's. Each GFCI comes with an instruction sheet and label that goes in the panel. The end user is responsible to follow the instructions.
The only code section would be 110.3(B)
Personally, where I work (out in the field in pump stations, valve pits, etc), I test before use every time.

bennie

Esteemed Member

A code is a law. There is no law that requires a test.

This is the same as over lamping a light fixture. A person can not be arrested for having a 100 watt lamp in a 60 watt fixture.

drmoody

Not knowing the basis for your question, I will tell you my situation. NEC and OSHA require all construction site temporary power to be either GFCI protected or have an assured grounding program in place. Assured grounding is the physical checking of all electrical cords and appliances for proper integrity of grounding conductors. OSHA requires that they must be checked and recorded each quarter maximum. The sites in which I work use both GFCIs and assured grounding. This is a small price to pay in lieu of an OSHA fine or someone?s life. See article 527.6.

Brian

bennie

Esteemed Member

Testing for an assured ground, is positive proof the ground is intact.

Testing a GFCI, is not positive proof the device will function.

bennie

Esteemed Member

I would apply a load, with an ammeter, across the line and neutral, then switch to the ground conductor. The ammeter should read the same.

dereckbc

Staff member

Originally posted by bennie:
I would apply a load, with an ammeter, across the line and neutral, then switch to the ground conductor. The ammeter should read the same.
That is what a good circuit tester will do like a Sure Test.

bennie

Esteemed Member

The Sure Test instruments merely pretend to apply rated current,and voltage, on the circuit.

My method is a true operation test.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Bennie we must still go by manufacturers instructions,show me one that doesn`t have a required test of a gfci

bennie

Esteemed Member

I must have missed the code section that states
"observe manufacturers instructions". Sorry!

rap

BENNIE

I A PERSON KNOWINGLY PUTS A 100 WATT LAMP IN A FIXTURE THAT SAYS NOT TO EXCEED 60 WATTS AND THAT FIXTURE CATCH'S FIRE ;AND SO ONE SHOULD GET HURT OR DIE AS A RESULT ... CAN YOU THEN BE ARRESTED ??

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

I have been on service calls in homes not 2 years old. Owner didnt even know he had GFCI's, let alone how to test them. So much for instructions. :(

bennie

Esteemed Member

A fixture that can take a 300 watt lamp better have a liability disclaimer, to protect the maker.

Your liability is up to a court or judge.

bennie

Esteemed Member

Manufacturers instructions are not enforceable unless the listing instructions make them mandatory to implement or observe.

ryan_618

Originally posted by bennie:
Manufacturers instructions are not enforceable unless the listing instructions make them mandatory to implement or observe.
Bennie: I agree to an extent, meaning that I as an inspector cannot require you as the installer to follow directions unless it is a listing requirement. However, you as the installer have an obligation to follow the manufacturer's requirements.

Mock court case:

Judge: "And after this person's bedroom caught fire, did you think about the fact that you did not follow the manufacturer's instructions"?

Installer: "Uh, no your honor...my dog ate them".

I don't think this case would be a pleasant one for the installer. :(

bennie

Esteemed Member

How about the instructions on the box, for smoke detectors?

Specifically; Install a detector in every room.

Status
Not open for further replies.