GFCI testing

Jared Sanders

Roswell nm
electrician, service tech
Can you connect a meter in series to ground and read how much voltage is going to ground to find a pump or motor that is borderline and starting to cause problems periodically. It would save me several call backs a year

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
No, for that you need a megger. A vm does not have enough voltage to test windings, a megger test is usually 500 or 1000 vdc.
The megger has long been used in industrial motor maintenance.