GFCI requirement in residential garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgreif

What edition of the Code reqired all garage receptacles to be GFCI? In other words, during what year did the NEC start requiring all wall receptacles to be GFCI?

russ

Re: GFCI requirement in residential garage

1978 except ones not readily accessible, or for dedecated appliances not easily movable

[ March 07, 2004, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: russ ]

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Local addemdum here requires a single non gfi protected device must be labeled,Appliance use only..So much for a unified code :roll:

kurrent

Doesn't that addendum sound silly? First of all, isnt a toaster or a hair dryer an appliance? Second of all, I think a lot of Clark Griswolds are going to use that receptacle for thier christmas lights when the GFCI trips.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

This is for single non gfci single receps.in garage only.I agree it is the silliest addendum I have ever heard of.But to get finals,we have to affix these labels. :confused:

j7david

As I understand it the logic for the exemption was to provide a outlet for the freezer that is very common in garages. You really have a unhappy home owner when he suddenly realizes that all deer meat that is in the freezer is now a reeking glob of goo. There goes the justification for the money spent during hunting season. Now his wife even wants her hubby to chuck out the freezer its self.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Hind sight is 20/20......After reading your post it makes a little bit more sence to me.but we are talking about your average homeowner they are told about gfci resets but still call to say my bath recps are out,or my exterior receps don`t work !!!!!!!!!Do you think they will read a label on a plate ???

tim

The contractor should educate the homeowner on the gfis. This should be done on the walk thru prior to closing of the house.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Tim we did 2,000 homes last year and the cm`s do intro the homeowners on the closing walk,but they are so star struck by the closing they are obliviuos to what said,they even get it in writing.But we still do allot of call backs for the same thing.Our service dept even tries to talk them through it but that only eliminates some calls.Service techs still have to go push the reset.I hate warranty work like this :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.