Gfci in laundry room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darekelec

Hello. Recently I had inspectors telling me to replace my dedicated 20 amp 120V receptacle in laundry to gfci protected. There is no sink but only the water outlet for washer. Do you experts know any code reference I should stick to? I'm in NEC 2008 with NYC amendments. Thank you in advance

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Hello. Recently I had inspectors telling me to replace my dedicated 20 amp 120V receptacle in laundry to gfci protected. There is no sink but only the water outlet for washer. Do you experts know any code reference I should stick to? I'm in NEC 2008 with NYC amendments. Thank you in advance

Unless it is a NYC ammendment, you don't need a 20Amp duplex or a GFCI.

david

Describe the laundry room and where it is located. Not from NYC cant address any NYC amendments A

darekelec

...the room is nicely finished - stone and A+ plaster in penthouse apartment. 4' by 6' with couple of 120V receptacles. the inspectro asked to replace the receptacle to gfci adjacent to water outlet for washer saying it's also 'water outlet'. there were no appliances present. maybe it's local interpretation or something.
thank you for your input:cool:

if anybody is interested here is a link to NYC amendments to 2008 nec
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dob/downloads/bldgs_code/electrical_code_local_law_39of2011.pdf

donselec

I ran into a similar situation a couple years ago. The washing machine was in a larger room with other outlets, and he wanted me to make all the outlets within 6' of the washer to be GFI. I argued and the head inspector agreed with me, there's absolutely nothing in the NEC to require that. Now I can't speak for NYC and I didn't read through your link to the Amendments, maybe there's something in there, but the NEC only requires outlets within 6' of a sink (exc. for kitchens) to be GFI, as well as other locations listed in Art. 220 such as unfinished basements, garages, etc. Also a 15A duplex outlet on a 20A circuit has been legal for decades, only if you have a single receptacle, not a duplex, does it have to match the amp rating of the circuit. That's old hat. Maybe your inspector will give you a code reference or reference to the NYC amendments that will back up what he's saying, unless I'm missing something.

jumper

I ran into a similar situation a couple years ago. The washing machine was in a larger room with other outlets, and he wanted me to make all the outlets within 6' of the washer to be GFI. I argued and the head inspector agreed with me, there's absolutely nothing in the NEC to require that. Now I can't speak for NYC and I didn't read through your link to the Amendments, maybe there's something in there, but the NEC only requires outlets within 6' of a sink (exc. for kitchens) to be GFI, as well as other locations listed in Art. 220 such as unfinished basements, garages, etc. Also a 15A duplex outlet on a 20A circuit has been legal for decades, only if you have a single receptacle, not a duplex, does it have to match the amp rating of the circuit. That's old hat. Maybe your inspector will give you a code reference or reference to the NYC amendments that will back up what he's saying, unless I'm missing something.

Nit pick........GFCI..............:)

darekelec

Now I can't speak for NYC and I didn't read through your link to the Amendments, maybe there's something in there, but the NEC only requires outlets within 6' of a sink (exc. for kitchens)

'Except kitchens sinks'? I thought the 6' rule for sinks includes kitchen sinks. So the garbage disposal, nearby dishwasher etc dont have to be gfci?

kwired

Electron manager
Now I can't speak for NYC and I didn't read through your link to the Amendments, maybe there's something in there, but the NEC only requires outlets within 6' of a sink (exc. for kitchens)

'Except kitchens sinks'? I thought the 6' rule for sinks includes kitchen sinks. So the garbage disposal, nearby dishwasher etc dont have to be gfci?

Kitchens are in a different subcategory in 210.8(A) than the subcategory titled "sinks"

Only receptacles serving countertop spaces are required to have GFCI protection in dwelling unit kitchens.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Kitchens are in a different subcategory in 210.8(A) than the subcategory titled "sinks"

Only receptacles serving countertop spaces are required to have GFCI protection in dwelling unit kitchens.

Laundry, utility and wet bar sinks however do not have that exception.

darekelec

Yeah. Think of a case when client is doing dishes and there is a fault to enclosure in garbage disposal. Wouldn't gfci save the person?

Status
Not open for further replies.