Getting Licensed

BDH2009

New User
Occupation
Electrician
Hello all!
I am getting ready to take my masters test in Maryland. The company that I am working for is a smaller company and wants me to apply as a qualified agent for the company. I am having trouble finding detailed information about qualified agents in Maryland. I am OK with this for the short term (the next year or 2) But there is a strong possibility that I will be branching off on my own. What kind of compensation would be fair to go this route? Also, I will be looking into reciprocating to West Virginia to start my company as a sole proprietor in my spare time. Will this conflict with my qualified agent status in Maryland?

garbo

The large hospital / research center that I worked at insisted that the 6 electricians have an electrical license. They supplied the insurance but were too cheap to pay for the annual 8 hours of continuing education. At a monthly shop meeting the facilities director said he wanted us to pull permits for small jobs to save them money over union electricians. I told them that they did not pay us enough and other guys stuck up for me. Same director asked me & the other most qualified coworker why we did not apply for the Senior electricians job. Told him with responsibility comes money. They only were offering a 4% pay increase. Guy that took the senior job was sorry he did. He often ate lunch at his desk at 4 PM while working on his computer. Not familiar with Maryland but love how Ocean City Md responded to a late night e mail that I sent them about my granddaughter receiving a small shock from a soda machine on motels pool deck that they feed with a 25' extension cord. By 11 AM they next morning the sent an inspector out to have the motel take care of the problem. By noon time this busy inspector had e mailed me. I would get the license because besides working at a full time job will allow you to earn good money to do side jobs. When I got laid off on a Friday I immediately called a few contractors that I did some work for. By Sunday night I had enough work for several weeks. When my next job stopped all overtime and the usually 50 weeks of Saturday 8 hours of overtime I was lucky to get a lot of commercial work and six months later when they asked me to work every Saturday told them that I was making way more money on my own. Yea that went over big. Good luck. Keep up on the NEC, check Mike Holts code forum every week and look at his & Charlie Treats code question of the day thru NICA. Subscribe to EC & M magazine.