generator - power out

Status
Not open for further replies.

able123

I have engaged my house circuitry via my 5000 watt generator.
All circuits that are needed ( a minimal )
are working as expected except for two.
One is to the well pump - and the other is overhead lites and receptacles in the master bed and bath. The black and white wires from these two are connected to the same bars as the other circuits that are working... any ideas???

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: generator - power out

Just how did you "engage" the generator to the house wiring? What is the voltage of the generator? Is it a three wire with equipment ground connection from the generator to the engager? (sorry, I couldn't resist)

racraft

I sense a back feed into the panel from the generator. Not uncommon, but not right either.

Did you disconnect the main?

Are you feeding 220 volts, or only 110 volts? (I am thinking along the lines that the pump and bedroom are on the missing half of the 220, or that the pump is 220 volts.)

able123

The main is locked out and I am feeding 110 through a # 12 cord to a 20 amp circuit on my porch - all total about 35 ft to panel from genrator.
Thanks

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

thats it. Your missing loads are on the other 120v side of the panel.
Are by chance are you using a double ended male cord?
Save your self some grief and possible shock and get a properly installed transfer swtich and panel. Home Depot sells a nice set up called a GenTrans, fairly easy for a qualifed electrcian to install. What you've done is illegial and dangerous. If you were to backfeed the panel and didn't turn off the main, you would energize the power companies primary electrical distribution system, and could electrocute a lineman.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by able123:
The main is locked out and I am feeding 110 through a # 12 cord to a 20 amp circuit on my porch - all total about 35 ft to panel from genrator.
Thanks
Able, you are not going to get much help here as you not even close to following the NEC.

What you are doing is dangerous to the utility workers that are trying to restore your service.

Yeah you say you "locked out" the main but things happen and mistakes get made, there are good reasons that the code requires transfer switches, it is not some conspiracy to sell more electric equipment.

Bottom line no one thinks accidents will happen to them, but they can.

And if you make a mistake you may kill a lineman with that small generator.

Bob

able123

YOUR ABSOLUTELY RIGHT ABOUT BACK FEEDING.
The loads that are missing seem to be at random because I have power on both sides of the panel.

racraft

Able, I think you will find that the circuits that have power are every other circuit on each side of the panel, and are directly across from a cirsuit that doesn't have power on the other side.

From what you are saying and the way you are saying it, you are in way over your head.

I echo what the others are saying. Pay an electrician to wire it properly using a transfer switch.

G

Look at the NEC in this order:
702, 250, 445, 110.

Post back with questions.

able123

pinafore -
ok - I am 68 years of age and 210 lbs.
I hung a ladder in the dug well and squuezed down to the switch to wire it to my generator directly.
As a double standard would be, Ill remember this admonition next time Im working on someones heat pump and it is supposed to be locked out, or have my head or hand in a sguirrel cage under the same
conditions.
Thank you to those who had answers not rhetoric.
:see pinafore

G

Exsqueeze me?

../Wayne C.

PS: OK, here you go compliments of Mirriam-Webster :

Main Entry: pin?a?fore
Pronunciation: 'pi-n&-"fOr, -"for
Function: noun
Etymology: 2pin + afore
Date: 1782
: a sleeveless usually low-necked garment fastened in the back and worn as an apron or dress
- pin?a?fored /-"fOrd, -"ford/ adjective

PPS: Are you telling us you were pinaforing or that you were pinafored?

[ September 20, 2003, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: awwt ]

Status
Not open for further replies.