Generator locations NFPA 110

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjrise

A question on NEC 700 and NFPA 110 7.2 on the requirements of the location of a stand-by emergency generator (LP)used for life safety emergency egress lighting in a supermarket application.
The NFPA leads me to belive that this 45kw generator cannot be in the same room and normal power electrical gear? They plans call for the generator and ats to be located in a room that doesn't have the main service entrance gear but does have the rest of the distribution gear.
Can I locate it there or do I have to have it in a sperate fire rated room?

sandsnow

Re: Generator locations NFPA 110

Look at 700.9(D)(2) NEC 2002
Also check out 700.12 (last pragraph)

Both talk about 1 hour fire resistive construction, but trade off for fire sprinklers. Note when these requirements come into play. Hi-Rise and high occupancy bldgs.

Also check with your local Fire Authority regarding LP fuel in the building.

I'm not familiar with the other publications you mention.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Re: Generator locations NFPA 110

NFPA 110 section 7.2 deals mostly with "Level 1" systems. If you have a "Level 1" system, the generator needs to be in its own room. (You can put the transfer switch and distribution panel in this same room if you want.)

Also, for a level 1 system, you can't install the transfer switch and distribution equipment in the same room with a normal electrical service of 480V of 1000A or more. Is your service that large?

STeve

Status
Not open for further replies.