Generator Larger than service

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnettda

Have you had this problem before? I did a load calc for a whole house generator and it came to 107 amps. The Main panel in the cabin/house is 100 amps. The generator was going to be at the meter pedestal that is 75 feet from house. I did not want to have to trench for any load shedding.

arnettda

Do the load calc again, use the optional method. It takes a lot of work to get over 100A.

Does the house have electric heat?

No Electric Heat, But it is 3257sq feet, Elec dryer and water heater, 3 ton AC unit besides the main stuff most houses have. I added in the fridge but can I leave that out and assume the two small appliance circuits will cover it.

fmtjfw

A generator might be larger than the service because the generator must have the capacity to handle starting loads for motors and other devices with high initial inrush.

Because an outage might stop all these loads, a generator needs to be able to handle multiple inrush loads at the same time, since it may need to start several of these loads when it picks up.

A service can depend on the higher capacity from the POCO for these loads, and the time delay inherent in its main breaker, as well as a lower probability that they will all start at the same time.

mgookin

No Electric Heat, But it is 3257sq feet, Elec dryer and water heater, 3 ton AC unit besides the main stuff most houses have. I added in the fridge but can I leave that out and assume the two small appliance circuits will cover it.

You have a 3257 sf house with a 100 amp service?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
A generator might be larger than the service because the generator must have the capacity to handle starting loads for motors and other devices with high initial inrush.

Because an outage might stop all these loads, a generator needs to be able to handle multiple inrush loads at the same time, since it may need to start several of these loads when it picks up.

A service can depend on the higher capacity from the POCO for these loads, and the time delay inherent in its main breaker, as well as a lower probability that they will all start at the same time.
This is a house being discussed. How much inrush can there be?

I have 3000 sqft house, electric double oven, two electric dryers, no A/C. If I turn every thing on, including counter top appliances and plugging in hair dryers I barely pull 80 Amps.

Last edited:

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
You should not size a generator based on amps, it should be done using load data; including power factors. Sequencing of starting loads is vital in understanding proper sizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.