Generator Guys, ATS with not "AT"

Status
Not open for further replies.

LLSolutions

36 kW generac single phase, with 2- 200amp ATS's. The switches are wired in parallel for the controls and the wiring all made sense. Unit starts up like it should and outputs correct load voltage and frequency and works just fine manually but will not transfer automatically. I'm not getting any voltage on the control side that would throw the solenoid for the ATS's I've checked this from the terminals at the generator itself. Any Ideas or anyone run into thei problem before I start?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Is the ATS supposed to transfer with a delay after the generator starts regardless of whether grid power is still present?
Check the indication from the generator auto-start to the ATS that indicates that the generator is running.
Possibly a missing/open fuse?

LLSolutions

pretty sure the sequence is this- a sustained loss or grid under voltage will start the genertor, then after a preset amount of time, I think this one is 30 seconds it will transfer the load. Once grid power is restored for a set amount of time- maybe 10 minutes the unit transfers back to grid and generator shuts down or begins cool down. I'm gonna have to download the entire wiring diagram, haven't been able to find something easy like a fuse or bad connection. Again the voltage that throws the solenoid isn't even present at the generator terminals or line side of the fuses.

north star

@ ~ @ ~ @

My first thought was also a fuse that controls a circuit board
somewhere.

If you provide the Generac model number, I will try to look
for a diagram online, ...unless you have already done this.

@ ~ @ ~ @

LLSolutions

@ ~ @ ~ @

My first thought was also a fuse that controls a circuit board
somewhere.

If you provide the Generac model number, I will try to look
for a diagram online, ...unless you have already done this.

@ ~ @ ~ @

image.jpg

Generac 36kw, single phase. That's the most info I can find. Can't find a full internal wiring diagram, just the install one which isn't helping.

north star

LLSolutions

Update!!!!!

Update!!!!!

Can't tell you with 100% certainty but here's what I believe happened. Alternator was bad- I think this is where the "transfer signal voltage" is derived from. I think the display has its own sealed battery so that never went out. Why this error never came up on the nexus display I don't know. I only realized it after getting a battery alarm even though the battery was only 2 years old. Also there's a sneaky inline fuse off the alternator that should be checked, wasn't the issue in this case . Changed out the alternator, new battery, full annual tuneup, and cleared all the alarms and it worked perfectly. Thanks for the help gentlemen!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.