GEC strapped to conduit - 300.11(B)

Status
Not open for further replies.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
We do it all the time here. Usually we just tuck it behind the 3" pvc and don't even ziptie it.
In the Kansas City Metro Area we have 9 counties, 5 Power Companies, and 119 cities. There isn't one location, area, municipality or any scenario I know of where we can run a GEC down the house to the ground without it being in pipe. Instant fail in these parts.

Protection of the conductor is always the reason.

I've been failed for the pipe not going all the way to the ground. I told one guy "you do know a weed eater will tear up the pvc pipe faster than it will the bare copper?

Then comes the deer in the headlights look 😁

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
In the Kansas City Metro Area we have 9 counties, 5 Power Companies, and 119 cities. There isn't one location, area, municipality or any scenario I know of where we can run a GEC down the house to the ground without it being in pipe. Instant fail in these parts.

Protection of the conductor is always the reason.

I've been failed for the pipe not going all the way to the ground. I told one guy "you do know a weed eater will tear up the pvc pipe faster than it will the bare copper?

Then comes the deer in the headlights look 😁
Around here I’ve never saw one in pipe...
some with clips like Larry shown above, some zip tied to the pvc, and some just tucked behind the pipe.

Clayton79

Occupation
Owner/operator
Probably bad form not to quote the exact article but if you are allowed to strap a bonding conductor to the outside of a flexible conduit to a motor for 6? Ft. How much more support? Protection would a rigid pipe be?

That being said, we pipe them down to the ground, usually PVC where I’m at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
I don't see why plexing multiple conductors would magically change it to a cable.
URD is not something recognized by NEC. It still falls under USE cable/conductor or if has multiple ratings under those single conductor ratings.

Typical overhead triplex- is messenger supported conductors as far as NEC is concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.