GEC strapped to conduit - 300.11(B)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Consider an outdoor service disconnect bottom fed by a PVC conduit exiting the ground. Can a #6 GEC leaving the enclosure and going into the gorund be strapped to the conduit? Here is the wording of 300.11(B) (assume none of the conditions are met).

Raceways Used as Means of Support. Raceways
shall be used only as a means of support for other raceways,
cables, or nonelectrical equipment under any of the
following conditions:

Is a GEC a "cable"? I guess it comes down to whether they mean cable as in "cable assembly" or just a loose definition. I lean toward a GEC is not a cable and thus allowed.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Got dinged on it. Is it Charlie's rule that says the code doesnt say what you think it says? Inspector wrote : "conduit does not meet conditions to be used as conductor support
It does not violate the code wording that is in post #1 because a single conductor is not a cable so then what section is violated? BTW I think that you meant (C) not (B) unless you're quoting the 2014 NEC.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Strapped how?
You talking zip ties or velcro strap?

You screwing a one-hole strap to your feeder pipe? I really can't imagine you doung that, but I've seen it before.

Back-to-back mini's?

FWIW, I've never strapped a GEC to a pipe. Can't see any point.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't see an issue with it and you probably only have a few feet of conduit if the meter is bottom fed.

fishin' electrician

single conductor cable
300.5 (I) Exception 1
390.22 (B)
392.80 (A)(2) Exception to (2)(3)(c)

single-conductor cable
310.120 B(3)(3)
392.22 (B)(1)(c)
392.22 (B)(1) Table
Table 392.22 (B)(1) Note to table
392.80 (A)(3)(1)
392.80 (B)(2)(1)
Table 400.4 Notes to table
525.20 (B)
690.31 (C)

Relates the same way 300.11 (C) does.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
single conductor cable
300.5 (I) Exception 1
390.22 (B)
392.80 (A)(2) Exception to (2)(3)(c)

single-conductor cable
310.120 B(3)(3)
392.22 (B)(1)(c)
392.22 (B)(1) Table
Table 392.22 (B)(1) Note to table
392.80 (A)(3)(1)
392.80 (B)(2)(1)
Table 400.4 Notes to table
525.20 (B)
690.31 (C)

Relates the same way 300.11 (C) does.
But does any of that apply to a single conductor used as a GEC? For example one of your sections is for MI cable that can be a single condcutor but it is encased within an outer jacket making it a cable. Is that the same as a GEC?

kwired

Electron manager
But does any of that apply to a single conductor used as a GEC? For example one of your sections is for MI cable that can be a single condcutor but it is encased within an outer jacket making it a cable. Is that the same as a GEC?
I think single conductor cable would be a conducor inside some sort of outer sheath that complies with whatever kind of cable it is listed as. A single bare conductor with nothing else covering it is nothing more than a single bare conductor. JMO.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I think single conductor cable would be a conducor inside some sort of outer sheath that complies with whatever kind of cable it is listed as. A single bare conductor with nothing else covering it is nothing more than a single bare conductor. JMO.
I don't think a cable has to be sheathed. Triplex, URD, etc are not sheathed, but they are bundled and I think that's the key

but I don't think a single wire is a cable. It's not in a bundle

kwired

Electron manager
I don't think a cable has to be sheathed. Triplex, URD, etc are not sheathed, but they are bundled and I think that's the key

but I don't think a single wire is a cable. It's not in a bundle
What about earlier mentioned single conductor MI cable? Might be just about only single conductor cable you will find?

Status
Not open for further replies.