GE TQD22200 Specs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

I had to re-feed a GE panel but there were no torque specs anywhere in the panel box, on the cover, or on the breaker itself. I set my torque wrench for 175 in-lbs and as I (Assumingly) approached 175 a thought crossed my mind, this is an old breaker, it's 5pm and if something strips I'm screeeewed. So I backed it down to 160 until I got my click. I took the part # thinking I could just look up such info online but I can't find any. I have to go back next week, does anyone know where I could get this info or perhaps even know the torque spec? Not sure if 160 in-lbs is adequate or not. 200a breaker and 2/0 cu.

templdl

I had to re-feed a GE panel but there were no torque specs anywhere in the panel box, on the cover, or on the breaker itself. I set my torque wrench for 175 in-lbs and as I (Assumingly) approached 175 a thought crossed my mind, this is an old breaker, it's 5pm and if something strips I'm screeeewed. So I backed it down to 160 until I got my click. I took the part # thinking I could just look up such info online but I can't find any. I have to go back next week, does anyone know where I could get this info or perhaps even know the torque spec? Not sure if 160 in-lbs is adequate or not. 200a breaker and 2/0 cu.

There is a chart for torques that includes screw sizes and types. It is not electrical but simply mechanical as you would use in torqing nuts and bolts.
I have often times refered to that when faced with a lack of specs.
Logically speaking whey should any torque specs exceed the values in the chart and why would you torque them any less. Please see the examples of the chart that I have attached that I was refering to.
It beats red facing them.

Ref: http://www.imperialsupplies.com/pdf/A_FastenerTorqueCharts.pdf

Attachments

• Fastener Torque Chart 1.jpg
    Fastener Torque Chart 1.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Fastener Torque Chart 2.jpg
    Fastener Torque Chart 2.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 15

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Ilsco and NSI both include torque charts in boxes of lugs and insulated connectors. I carry them in my book in 110.14. These are consistant with specs listed in panels. Ask your supply house guy for one.

mark32

Thanks for the replies,

I ended up contacting GE and was told the torque was 200in-lbs. I went back and one lug tightened up nicely, the other had me sweating bullets. At first the lug didn't move at 170 but started to turn at 190 but it just didn't feel right so I backed it down a little at time until I got a click, which was at 145 and I left it at that. Told the home owner the breaker may need to be replaced at some point or even swapped with just a set of lugs as this panel no longer needs a main.

Status
Not open for further replies.