Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Occasionally I get this in a text file that is sent to me on a daily basis.
I import it to a Excel and it is there on the original file in at least one for the cells. This is a snipped portion.

1675166933144.png

Any idea what causes it?

I have scanned the files with Security software and they are never flagged.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Have you tried opening it in Notepad or Word to see if it's some kind of formatting code?

kwired

Electron manager
What exactly is the text file supposed to be?

Maybe whatever viewer you are using is converting what it thinks is ASCII codes to the characters those codes represent is what I am thinking.

cadpoint

Look up display ASCII, or display ASCII Chart. There's a few different ones!

Those are various Symbols that are behind all the numbers and letters, etc. on the keyboards,
In your Operating system is maybe one or Two Ascii Character Sets locked into the OS program that will present
on the screen or display what each letter or number is of the -256 Characters in few ACSII Code locked in
that one will see.

On a laptop
26 X 2 = 56 Character keys
25 x2 = 50 number, punication, symbols
!0 X 2 = 20 function keys (maybe)
plus various support keys shift, Alt tab, Caps, Cap lock

In the end it's short of using much the total of 256 ASCII Key Set up.
There 3rd tier Spare characters to make 256 characters
Most are Math based Like a true Degree Symbol (little zero-upper right) and some are just Goofy,

Using Alt key(hold down) and type a number like 178 (alt 178) one gets these funny characters. This is the third tier of displayable objects that
are behind usually a number key sequence, the same letter capitalized, or ALT same letter.

Laptop keyboards don't lean themselves to holding or using but see these will display the key inputs used of another ASCII Code
of another OS. Not everyone creates their OS the Same.

A full keyboard like ones with "arrow back", positional Up , Down, a Two (usage) function Keys, one can create these ASCII characters.

retirede

Look up display ASCII, or display ASCII Chart. There's a few different ones!

Those are various Symbols that are behind all the numbers and letters, etc. on the keyboards,
In your Operating system is maybe one or Two Ascii Character Sets locked into the OS program that will present
on the screen or display what each letter or number is of the -256 Characters in few ACSII Code locked in
that one will see.

On a laptop
26 X 2 = 56 Character keys
25 x2 = 50 number, punication, symbols
!0 X 2 = 20 function keys (maybe)
plus various support keys shift, Alt tab, Caps, Cap lock

In the end it's short of using much the total of 256 ASCII Key Set up.
There 3rd tier Spare characters to make 256 characters
Most are Math based Like a true Degree Symbol (little zero-upper right) and some are just Goofy,

Using Alt key(hold down) and type a number like 178 (alt 178) one gets these funny characters. This is the third tier of displayable objects that
are behind usually a number key sequence, the same letter capitalized, or ALT same letter.

Laptop keyboards don't lean themselves to holding or using but see these will display the key inputs used of another ASCII Code
of another OS. Not everyone creates their OS the Same.

A full keyboard like ones with "arrow back", positional Up , Down, a Two (usage) function Keys, one can create these ASCII characters.

The fact that we’re seeing some kind of Asian characters suggests that the file has been converted or created in Unicode or some double-byte character set (DBCS). Those characters cannot be represented in the 256 ASCII character set.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DBCS#In_CJK_(Chinese/Japanese/Korean)_computing

cadpoint

LOL, I didn't note the Chinese ASCII, I don't trust Wiki for much kinda right up there ( or low as ) with Reddit.

Point taken, Thank you

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
The data comes for an AD EA-9 HMI. For some reason Unicode sounds correct. They are imported as text files.
This does not happen very often but when it does the files are about 70% smaller than normal. Data recording apparently stops.
Given that, it sounds like there is a lack of robustness in the HMI building the file from the data. I'd look to see if you can use a "better" comm protocol, perhaps at least including parity. I'd also consider slightly that some noise event has an impact on the comm link; one bad byte (or bit) could initiate it breaking sync.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Have you tried to save the file in a different format?
In the save as wizard change the file origin to 65001 UTF

Status
Not open for further replies.