Garage service pit

User Name

Occupation
Electrician
Hey guys, customer put up a new garage, and had a service pit put in below grade so he can just walk under vehicles and change oil and maintenance stuff. He had another electrician wire the shop, ran a conduit to the service pit but now refuses to wire lights in the pit. He's claiming it needs to be explosion proof and he won't take the liability of it. I'm having a hard time finding a code that validates his stance on the subject. My first thought was just feed it with a GFCI breaker and use vapor-proof lights. Only thing I know of in the code for explosion proof is the 500 hazardous locations, gas-dust-fibers. 511.8 for commercial garages does talk about underground wiring below hazardous location, but there's no gasoline or ignitable fuels being stored in this building. Thoughts?

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
The AHJ would have the call as to whether is falls into such a hazard class.
But, it would make sense for any area that would be able to accumulate "heavier than air" gases (explosive or other). Pits that I've been involved around all had the Caged lights (presumed they were explosion proof) and some had additional ventilation and drainage.

Looking at the code it would appear that this circumstance would fit as a C1D2 space per table 511.3(C).
but there's no gasoline or ignitable fuels being stored in this building.
This is not the only criteria. but if such condition was to exist it could bring the space to a C1D1.
Additional requirements might also be in article 515.

User Name

Occupation
Electrician
Thanks Fred that's the direction I needed pointing to. Looks like for sure we'd be under 511.3(C) Repair garage, minor which would put us into C1D2. Really, all a guy would really need is just get lights listed for the area right? There's nothing saying you can't have lights in this area is there?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I don't see any AHJ making that call without engineered drawings. There are many variables involved including air flow, type fuel, etc.
As an EC I wouldn't touch it without engineered drawings.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The service pits I have done have been designed with explosion proof fixtures.

kwired

Electron manager
Thanks Fred that's the direction I needed pointing to. Looks like for sure we'd be under 511.3(C) Repair garage, minor which would put us into C1D2. Really, all a guy would really need is just get lights listed for the area right? There's nothing saying you can't have lights in this area is there?
Though it probably too late to do easily, proper ventilation can make it an unclassified area for minor repair garage

User Name

Occupation
Electrician
I don't see any AHJ making that call without engineered drawings. There are many variables involved including air flow, type fuel, etc.
As an EC I wouldn't touch it without engineered drawings.
Really that serious, I might have to get my inspectors approval before doing anything then, which should be fun, just found out the other guy didn't get the job inspected 🤣

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Though it probably too late to do easily, proper ventilation can make it an unclassified area for minor repair garage
That would only be the case if all the electrical in the pit was interlocked to the fan so if the fan is off, the power into the pit is off.

User Name

Occupation
Electrician
That would only be the case if all the electrical in the pit was interlocked to the fan so if the fan is off, the power into the pit is off.
I was wondering how that would work. The fan would almost need to be on all the time. I was able to stop by and look at it today. They gave us a 1/2" pvc stubbed into the pit, I don't know if that's going to work anyway, probably should have been a RMC or IMC at least the first 10' then switched to pvc. I got a price on 4' C1D2 lights, and at $700 a pop, I think he'd be better off buying a few headlights. Rest of the shop doesn't look to bad, other than none of the outlets are gfci protected.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Way too often when you inherit one of these jobs and proceed to complete it according to Code and with inspections somehow you end up being the "bad guy"