Garage and outdoor outlets 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

frani

Just saw in the 2014 NEC where you can't feed anything off the garage outlets (outdoor outlet on the garage.) What is the logic behind this? Also, swimming pool wiring. I want to make sure I understood Mike's video clip I watched. If you are wiring a pool the panel that is feeding the pool circuit had to have an insulated ground? Does that mean if you have a main breaker panel and have bare copper to your rods and water that you have to run an insulated copper wire to your water pipes? Can you install a MLO panel off the main panel and feed it with either MC cable or conduit with all insulated conductors to meet this?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Just saw in the 2014 NEC where you can't feed anything off the garage outlets (outdoor outlet on the garage.) What is the logic behind this? Also, swimming pool wiring. I want to make sure I understood Mike's video clip I watched. If you are wiring a pool the panel that is feeding the pool circuit had to have an insulated ground? Does that mean if you have a main breaker panel and have bare copper to your rods and water that you have to run an insulated copper wire to your water pipes? Can you install a MLO panel off the main panel and feed it with either MC cable or conduit with all insulated conductors to meet this?

The logic in not feeding other outlets from the garage is, IMO, the NEC getting into design issues where they don't belong.:rant:
But having said that, it is for the electric car chargers and the current draw on them.
They don't want the garage overloaded because of this.

As for the pools you are misunderstanding what it's saying. They are talking about the EGC (equipment grounding conductor) not the GEC (grounding electrode conductor).

If it is a dwelling and the feed already exists it doesn't have to have an insulated EGC.
If you are running a new feed (outdoors) then an insulated EGC is required. It's always required to the equipment.
Nothing in the code pertaining to pools has anything to do with the GEC, ground rod, or anything with the dwelling grounding system.

RLyons

So if you have a detached garage and the garage has a exterior outlet you would need to run 2 separate circuits to the garage? 1 For the garage itself and 1 for the outlet?

iwire

Staff member
So if you have a detached garage and the garage has a exterior outlet you would need to run 2 separate circuits to the garage? 1 For the garage itself and 1 for the outlet?

Except you can't run more than one branch circuit to a seperate building or structure.

You would have to run a single MWBC or a feeder and place a panel.

asian195

I would like to add a question to this in regards to the garage receptacle circuit.
If you were to install 2 garage receptacle circuits, can one of those circuits feed to something outside the garage?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

frani

Garages and electric car chargers

Garages and electric car chargers

Bill, if I am reading this correctly art# 210.17 in the 2014 requires a separate circuit for the charging station. So overloading of the garage circuit shouldn't be an issue. As far as the pool wiring...........I'll get back......:)

kwired

Electron manager
Bill, if I am reading this correctly art# 210.17 in the 2014 requires a separate circuit for the charging station. So overloading of the garage circuit shouldn't be an issue. As far as the pool wiring...........I'll get back......:)
True but that is for an outlet for the purpose of supplying EV charging station, and is not limited to any voltage or amperage either and is just a general requirement for all types of occupancy.

I think they were afraid that in a dwelling garage the chances of EV's getting used on the existing general purpose 120 volt receptacles was going to increase loads on inside receptacles so they thought that anything outside the garage should not be on that same circuit. Someone must have convinced them this is a design issue for 2017.

iwire

Staff member
II Buildings or Other Structures Supplied by a
Feeder(s) or Branch Circuit(s)

225.30 Number of Supplies.
A building or other structure
that is served by a branch circuit or feeder on the load side
of a service disconnecting means shall be supplied by only
one feeder or branch circuit unless permitted in 225.30(A)
through (E). For the purpose of this section, a multiwire
branch circuit shall be considered a single circuit.

Where a branch circuit or feeder originates in these additional
buildings or other structures, only one feeder or
branch circuit shall be permitted to supply power back to
the original building or structure, unless permitted in
225.30(A) through (E).

jumper

Yep. But for some reason I thought I read in the IAEI magazine, the garage outlet code was going to be a little more clear i.e. A receptacle outlet in each car stall & 20 amp ckt.
Dang if I can't find the magazine now to back up my post. :happysad:

Yeah, you got it correct, except I am not not sure about 20A-maybe. Too lazy to look it up right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.