fuses blowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrydmi

7.5 kva dry type transformer, 480 pri. 120/240 sec., priamry fuses 15 amp type J blow when supply power is turned on. Tried 15 amp type RK5 fuses instead and it works fine. Primary voltage is good, secondary voltage is good, transformer was energized with no load. Why would a type J fuse keep blowing? Thanks for the help. :confused:

bphgravity

Re: fuses blowing

The designator of "J" and "RK5" are classes and do not automatically infer type. Is it possible that the class J fuse you are using is of the quick acting type which is responding to the inrush? Most class RK5's are time delays.

physis

It would make sense to me. I wouldn't expect a fast acting fuse to work.

kiloamp7

Usually you are better off using 20A fuses in pri. of this xfmr, time lag preferred.

Believe that all RK5 are time lag.

Xfmr inrush will get you sometimes, whether there is a sec. load or not.

bowman

have seen problems w/ inrush current especially when transformers were reverse fed
if i remember correctly i think its 25x's the norm

barrydmi

Again, thank you guys for the input. To me it boils down to using the FRS-R-20 which is the one we finally installed is the write fuse, and the LPJ-20SP which is the one that was blowing is not. Even though the Bussman catalog decribes the LPJ-SP as sutible for inrush current,and sutible for motor protection. I learned something. Thanks. Barry.

Status
Not open for further replies.