Free software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Basra123

Hello,

I am looking for free software to graph trignometirc functions such as sine and cosine and the rest???? any help !!!

RCinFLA

Re: Free software

fyi, Excel defaults to radians not degrees.

Just remember to convert within your formula if you want to work with degrees.

Basra123

Hi,

do I need a special add-in such as Dplot to graph these functions? Can some one show me a simple example?
I tried to use the sine function but this only return a number and won't plot the sine function itself? Thanks1

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

The last time I needed to plot a trig function, I created two columns in Excel. Column 1 was the degrees from 1 to 360. Column 2 was the trig function of Column 1, taking into account the conversion from degrees to radians. Then I used the Excel plotting tool to get the graph that I needed.

If there is a more elegant way to do this, I wouldn't mind hearing the news. But that is the only way I know how to plot a function using Excel.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

I would start in a colum a enter 1 in the 1st row, 2 in the second, and 3 in the third. Then highlight a lot of cells in a colum and select "Edit" and "Fill" and "Series". Excel will enter 4,5,6 and so on.

Then in the next column, enter "=sin(" and then select the cell with the "1".

Select teh cell with the sine function, and select copy. Hightlight all the cells under it and enter paste.

Now you have a lot of points you can chart.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.