Ford Intelligent Backup Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
While you might get better top end torque from an electric dragster, it's all about keeping the rubber connected to the road without slippage.
That doesn't seem like an insurmountable problem; in fact it seems like it would be an easier issue with electrics than with ICEs because you can control the motors directly with electronics.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
That doesn't seem like an insurmountable problem; in fact it seems like it would be an easier issue with electrics than with ICEs because you can control the motors directly with electronics.
So, you're proposing that you monitor the torque to determine when slipping starts and back off using feedback control?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Sure, why not? And why not four driven wheels instead of two?
When there is little to no weight on the front wheels, there is no point in driving them.
But you might get better control from driven front wheels carrying a portion of the car weight.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

gadfly56

Occupation
Sure, why not? And why not four driven wheels instead of two?
Feedback control, four driven wheels; you might as well put in a remote control package. I doubt that's what most fans are interested in seeing, but there might be a market.

ggunn

Occupation

ggunn

Occupation
Feedback control, four driven wheels; you might as well put in a remote control package. I doubt that's what most fans are interested in seeing, but there might be a market.
You could say that about ICE dragsters as well, couldn't you? The scale of a dragster is determined by its ability to transport itself along with a human occupant as quickly as possible from a dead stop to a point a quarter mile away. I remember reading a Formula One driver's scornful comment about dragster drivers: "Any clod can put his foot in it." :D

ggunn

Occupation
I think that what most fans are interested in seeing is a fiery crash where someone might get killed. :D

gadfly56

Occupation
I believe this is already done in railroad locomotives. Granted their wheels don't spin as fast.
I'm sure, but I don't think anyone is spending their Saturday nights in the local train yard watching switch engines doing burn outs. Just sayin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.