Ford Intelligent Backup Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

rainwater01

Occupation
Electrician
Anybody have information about compatible inverters and equipment for the Ford Lightning Intelligent Backup Power. I have a customer that would like a grid tied system with a 2 year plan to buy a Lightning and use that for backup power. He also wants to incorporate a Cummins generator he bought but hasn’t installed yet.

I called Sunrun but you can’t buy equipment due to shortages and demand, unless you already have purchased the vehicle. The sales rep just sent me a link to some testimonials which I could see some of the equipment in the background.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Some data sheets on the "Home Integration System" appear to be here, under Downloads:

I have not investigated the info myself.

Cheers, Wayne

rainwater01

Occupation
Electrician
Some data sheets on the "Home Integration System" appear to be here, under Downloads:

I have not investigated the info myself.

Cheers, Wayne

Thanks Wayne. There’s some useful information there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sketchy

I'd love to hear from someone who's installed one. We have the rights to install them in my area, most likely not for another year. My concern is the 131 kWh battery sitting in a garage. I fear that NFPA 855 will hamper the growth.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I'd love to hear from someone who's installed one. We have the rights to install them in my area, most likely not for another year. My concern is the 131 kWh battery sitting in a garage. I fear that NFPA 855 will hamper the growth.

From its title, I don't think NFPA 855 will apply to vehicles. Also what jurisdictions are actually adopting NFPA 855?

You at least spurred me to try to read it.

retirede

From its title, I don't think NFPA 855 will apply to vehicles. Also what jurisdictions are actually adopting NFPA 855?

You at least spurred me to try to read it.

I agree. The definition in 855 3.3.9.7 defines a stationary energy storage system (title of the standard) as “permanently installed as fixed equipment.” I don’t see how a truck could fit this definition.

pv_n00b

Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
It's like the NEC does not apply to car wiring. It's under another standard that applies to cars even though a car can be parked in a garage.

sketchy

We're getting pushback on smaller Tesla batteries, 13.5 kWh, installed in a basement. While we're not following NFPA 855, it's going in that direction. 855 caps the limit at 80 kWh in and next to a dwelling. Now you increase that by more than 50% with a Lightning and the Fire Marshall starts to get involved more.

retirede

We're getting pushback on smaller Tesla batteries, 13.5 kWh, installed in a basement. While we're not following NFPA 855, it's going in that direction. 855 caps the limit at 80 kWh in and next to a dwelling. Now you increase that by more than 50% with a Lightning and the Fire Marshall starts to get involved more.

Again, 855 is a standard for “Stationary Energy Storage Systems”. That, by the very definition in the standard, does not include an EV.
The Tesla batteries do meet the definition.

sketchy

I should be more clear, I'm not saying that 855 will apply to a vehicle, but rather having that much storage capacity in a house is going to raise red flags from AHJ's.

retirede

I should be more clear, I'm not saying that 855 will apply to a vehicle, but rather having that much storage capacity in a house is going to raise red flags from AHJ's.

People have been parking Teslas (50-80 kWh batteries)in attached garages for over 10 years. I’m not sure tapping the battery for backup power increases the risks substantially.

I can see your point, though. The pervasiveness of high power battery technology will begin to draw additional scrutiny.

pv_n00b

Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I can see your point, though. The pervasiveness of high power battery technology will begin to draw additional scrutiny.
I have not looked into the history but I have to wonder if there was not a similar discussion when the new fangled gas cars became more ubiquitous and people were parking them in their carriage houses.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I have not looked into the history but I have to wonder if there was not a similar discussion when the new fangled gas cars became more ubiquitous and people were parking them in their carriage houses.
Said carriage houses were always detached. I'm not sure when attached garages became popular, but I know that my grandparent's house was built around WW II and still had a detached garage. By that metric, that's a long time (~1900-1943) to see whether or not storing a lot of gasoline in a structure is a significant risk.

retirede

I have no doubt that there were die-hard horse & buggy people talking derisively about cars in the same vein as some ICE-lovers disparage EVs today.

retirede

Said carriage houses were always detached. I'm not sure when attached garages became popular, but I know that my grandparent's house was built around WW II and still had a detached garage. By that metric, that's a long time (~1900-1943) to see whether or not storing a lot of gasoline in a structure is a significant risk.

But still, they didn’t want their carriage houses to burn, even if not attached to the house!

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I have no doubt that there were die-hard horse & buggy people talking derisively about cars in the same vein as some ICE-lovers disparage EVs today.
"If man had been meant to fly he would have been born with wings!" :D

I can't wait until we see electric dragsters; EV's have colossal torque off the line.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Especially because many of the first cars were electric or steam with internal combustion/gasoline being in third place at roughly 20%.

Last edited:

retirede

"If man had been meant to fly he would have been born with wings!" :D

I can't wait until we see electric dragsters; EV's have colossal torque off the line.

This is 2 years old
43d771a4cccb53ab8f21aef93b3a2cec.jpg

https://youtu.be/Q6xgzVKph0Y

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
This is 2 years old
43d771a4cccb53ab8f21aef93b3a2cec.jpg

Top fuel dragsters clock in at about 338 mph.

While you might get better top end torque from an electric dragster, it's all about keeping the rubber connected to the road without slippage.

Status
Not open for further replies.