Flexible cord out of Disconnect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephena

So I remember in Mike Holt's video when he discusses having a flexible cord coming out of a disconnect with a cord connector that that was a violation of 400.7B I am reading 400.7B and it states "Where used as permitted in 400.7A3,A6, and A8 each flexible cord shall be equipped with an attachment plug and shall be energized from a receptacle outlet or cord connector body." So if the flexible cord comes out of the disconnect and has a cord connector on it then the attachment plug is being energized from a cord connector body. It doesn't make sense to me that I can have a receptacle outlet J-box that can have a flexible cord and connector body hanging from it but I can't with a disconnect. What am I missing here?

kwired

Electron manager
So I remember in Mike Holt's video when he discusses having a flexible cord coming out of a disconnect with a cord connector that that was a violation of 400.7B I am reading 400.7B and it states "Where used as permitted in 400.7A3,A6, and A8 each flexible cord shall be equipped with an attachment plug and shall be energized from a receptacle outlet or cord connector body." So if the flexible cord comes out of the disconnect and has a cord connector on it then the attachment plug is being energized from a cord connector body. It doesn't make sense to me that I can have a receptacle outlet J-box that can have a flexible cord and connector body hanging from it but I can't with a disconnect. What am I missing here?
Maybe his example you are referring to did not have a condition of 400.7(A) (3,6 or 8)?

I don't see that it makes any difference if there is a disconnect or not, overcurrent protection needs to be somewhere - it may just happen to be right there where the cord is attached (where permitted) in some cases.

stephena

Thank you for the help and the ECM article. I thought that the flexible cord and cord connector came out of the disconnect and that that was a code violation. So I guess where I messed up was that I thought......... Thank you guys

Status
Not open for further replies.