Flex not secured??

Status
Not open for further replies.

big john

A raceway used as a protection sleeve is still a raceway by definition...
Then all unexempted articles for raceways would still seem to apply.
But when it comes to Code, intent means nothing when the words in print do not support it.
Agreed. Which is why, whether it is the intent or not, the current writting of the code seems to say that raceways used as sleeves must be independently secured and supported.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Then all unexempted articles for raceways would still seem to apply. ...
As noted earlier, by myself and others (at the very least, kwired), the articles may be titled by raceway name, but they are really a wiring method which uses that particular type of raceway. The case in this thread actually falls under a cable wiring method... Article 334 Nonmetallic-Sheathed Cable: Types NM,NMC, and NMS.

big john

...The case in this thread actually falls under a cable wiring method... Article 334 Nonmetallic-Sheathed Cable: Types NM,NMC, and NMS.
I don't follow? The requirements in 334 pertain to the wiring method in the sleeve. The requirements in 300 pertain to the sleeve itself. They don't conflict.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I don't follow? The requirements in 334 pertain to the wiring method in the sleeve. The requirements in 300 pertain to the sleeve itself. They don't conflict.
Article 300 General Requirements for Wiring Methods and Materials. Completeness plus mechanical and electrical continuity are excepted. What section covers securement and support of a raceway physical-protection sleeve?

300.11(A)? I suppose, but I infer that section to mean raceways used in wiring methods... and we're back to intent.

If we look at it your way, how are we supposed to weigh the requirements of 300.11(B).

300.11(C) is what you are saying about the cable supporting the protection sleeve... and I agree with that.

Last edited:

Cavie

In Florida, RX from the wall to the water heater must be protected and Flex from the wall is the accepted method of doing it with no box at the wall.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
In Florida, RX from the wall to the water heater must be protected and Flex from the wall is the accepted method of doing it with no box at the wall.
What about the water heater end? Is the flex connected to the water heater? How is the NM terminated?

iwire

Staff member
What about the water heater end? Is the flex connected to the water heater? How is the NM terminated?

In my area flex secured to WH, other end of flex just shoved into wall over NM.

NM secured by flex which is secured by WH.;)

Just the truth of the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.