First time on forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question
i have a 1200a 480/277v MDP fed from the power co. Transformer it is bonded to building steel, 2-3/4 cu ground rods and to the water pipe. I have 3- 400a 277/480v sub-panels fed from MDP that each feed a 75kva transformer then to a 200A 120/208v panel
i have a 4th wire for ground going to all 3 panels. This is my question. Do I need to bond my 120/208 panels to building steel? If so, why?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If the transformer is bonded to the building steel there is no need to bond the panels that it feeds to the steel.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Each transformer must be connected to the grounding electrode system. When this is done then the sub panel that is fed from the transformer does not need to be connected to the building steel.

Panels fed from a MDP also do not need to be connected to the building steel. This is only req. at the service or at each separately derive system (transformers)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
transformer.jpg

As noted in the diagram your transformer connection to building steel can originate at the transformer or at the panel. It should be made at the same point the system bonding jumper is installed.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I agree with Gus and I omitted that concept since I usually see the bonding done at the trany. If the bonding is not done at the trany then everything can be done at the first disconnect just as you would do on a service. Grounding electrode system does not need to be connected to sub panels.

Status
Not open for further replies.