First house to wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

sid123456

I just got my first call for a house to wire. It's a remodel with bare studs and ceiling, just like a new home. I dont really know how to price it. The house is 1648 sq ft. It needs a new service too (200 amp). The we aggreed on 3500, but above and beyond that it includes 6 phone outlets, 3 recessed cans, 6 dimmers ( 3 that are 3 ways), and 2 outside lights. I think it will take a day to rough and a day to trim. I starting to think twice about this price. I was hoping to get some feedback on this.

Sid in Atlanta, Georgia

bphgravity

Re: First house to wire

Too many considerations go into what type of pricing you give for a particular job. I don't know the Atlanta market and what the typical pricing is there. I don't know what your overhead is and what level of profit margins you are looking for.

Bottom line is that you need to determine exactly what your costs will be, including overhead. Determine your labor costs, and add in your profit. Everything must be taken into consideration. How bad do you need the job? How likely are you to receive additional work from the customer? The list goes on and on.

$3500 for a 1650 sq.ft. home seems fairly reasonable, possibly a little low.

jimwalker

Figure 15 minutes to an opening.Material should be easy to figure so just add the time.One day sounds very questionable even for a guy that does this everyday.And remodels almost always take longer.Figure 2 guys 2 days and you should be safe.Dollar amount depends on labor rate.

eswets

jimwalker,
The 15 minutes per opening, is this for rope or emt. I live in an area where everything is emt, and everone on these site talk pricing for rope. Hard to compare things some time. Prices and labor are different.
Eric

Eric,
I would figure $75.00 per outlet,switch or light.
Or if this is your first house and you are doing all the work yourself.
Keep track of the time it takes to walk job with home owner.Then keep time of how long it takes you to install lights,plugs and switch boxes.
Finally take time on how log to install conduit and pull wire.
This way it will be easier the next time you bid a house.Setting finish allow 10 minutes per opening and you should be safe.
Never bid per square foot.
We bid 200 amp services at $2500.00
This includes material and installing all new and existing circuits.California Area
Good Luck
Rick

mtn_elec

Sid. Could you give more details on this job. Are there some dedicated circuits ( trash compactor, Double Oven, Range, Dishwasher, Wine Cooler, etc) Is it a big kitchen? Some Whirlpool?Hot Tub?etc

jimwalker

When i say 15 min per opening i mean using romex NM and that is rough in time .Trim time depends on device.I can install receptacles in 3 minutes but light fixtures are an unknown.Any ceiling fans could run from 20 minutes to 2 hours

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by bphgravity:
$3500 for a 1650 sq.ft. home seems fairly reasonable, possibly a little low.
I agree with everything Bryan said. You might take it in the shorts a little on this house, but it looks like you did all right.

$75 per hole on new construction?
$2500 for a 200 service swap?

These seem a little high. In our neck of the woods, a service swap is in the ballpark of $1300, depending on amperage.

I guess it comes down to what the market will bear!

silvafoxx

Give a fair price that reflects the value of your work. If you don't value it, no one else will. Call a top-line price, offer to negotiate and chances are the client will knock you down to a price they are happy with, it will be what you were after and your client gets a $1000 tradesman for $750. A more satisfying prospect than a $500 cowboy for $1000! Hope it goes well.

drwill

i use a per unit pricing schedule. if you give me a count of receptacles, both general purpose and gfi or weather proof, light switches single pole, 3way and 4way the # of lights general, recessed,fans, how much for your permit if any.tv/ phone outlets, kitchen island, # of ranges, floor plugs. fire alarm requirements ie # of bedrooms. # of bathrooms, bathrm vent fans, size of service.doorbell, garage door opner, I will tell you what i would charge.

good luck will D

dnbob

Sid,
I think your within about $750.00 of where I would have probably bid it (on the low side), but you'll do just fine with your price, if it is not too late to change it. A decent dimmer will probably be around $25.00 or less. Even cat 5e phone wire will only run you $50.00 or so.

Is your work primarily commercial?
What is an average Journeyman wage? (if your allowed to say?)

Drwill,
3 way dimming is quite common, just remember that only one 3 way can be the dimmer, the other end is a standard 3 way switch. (unless they are electronic master/slave dimmers)

Status
Not open for further replies.