FIREX Smokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire nut

Folks, I've read a few recent threads on smoke detectors and their problems. Some brands were mentioned. I want to add some fuel to the fire to view my problems associated to FIREX interconnected smoke detectors.

I own a duplex and 1 year ago I wired interconnected smokes in each dwelling during a major renovation as required to satisfy permit requirments. At the time of inspection, the functionality of the smokes passed. In addition, all worked 100% when I personally tested the system after I installed the detectors. Recently, I accidently set off one of the smokes in the hallway adjacent to my kitchen due to my great cooking abilities. I noticed only the affected smoke detector activated, not the chain of smokes in the circuit. I was concerned and randomly tested other smokes. Some detectors activated all the detectors in the chain when I blew smoke and others did not. When I press the test button on the each smoke detector they all activated as expected.

Is this a problem with FIREX brand interconnected smoke detectors?? This is a serious liabilty problem should a fire break out and a smoke detector malfunctions. My unit consists of 2 floors ontop of a unit that I rent out. I have 7 smokes chained in my unit and it will be expensive to replace all the FIREX dectors with another brand but I will if needed.

Has anyone experienced this problem or have any knowledge of malfunctioning FIREX smokes?

John
New Jersey

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Re: FIREX Smokes

John,

Contact Firex tech support (800-304-6563). They'll probably replace all of the detectors you have with new ones and ask you to send the defective detectors back for evaluation. They have some problems with their detectors but they won't leave you in the lurch on this. They'll stand behind their products and support you (at least that's been my experience).

Phil

tonyi

FWIW, a new carton of 6 I bought recently all came with dead/dying batteries, mfg date 8/03 so they couldn't have been on the shelf for too long.

canadian

Wayne...why would he interconnect them And have them on different circuits :confused: Thats almost hard to do.Anyways Ive had trouble with the Firex interconnections also.Did a house a few years back with about 5 smokes all linked with 3 wire and had a heck of a time getting them to work each other.After a couble of trips back to house and having them all apart a few times ...and replacing them all to no avail ..they suddenly started working out of the blue! Come to think of it the 4 in my own house dont seem to work on the interconnection either.I havent looked into them yet. These two examples aside ..I havent had any other problems over the years. Ross

wire nut

Folks,
Thanks for the replies. I was asked if all smokes are on the same circuit and the answer is yes. Each dwelling's smokes are on their own circuit (each apartment is considered a seperate dwelling)

I will follow up with FIREX support. I guess I'm not dreaming since others on this forum experienced the same problem with FIREX brand smokes. I will request all new smokes and nothing less since I am liable in the event of a fire in my Duplex since I am the owner.

Again, thanks to all and have a nice Thanksgiving this week!!

John New Jersey :)

tim

Wirenut,
I have and am currently having problems with my Firex smokes. I have eight of them in one house interconnected and on the same circiut. They keep going off at random. Hard to figure out which smoke is causing the problem. I have already replaced all the batteries. Also, two of the units are combo smoke/monoxide units. the combo units are compadable to be inter connected with the smoke only units. Outside of replacing all the units what is a guy to do? I also checked all connections and they are good. Thanks for any help Tim.

[ November 23, 2003, 08:37 PM: Message edited by: tim ]

wire nut

**** UPDATE ****

Folks, today I called Firex Tech Support as suggested by Goldstar. I spoke to a fellow named Marty and explained my problem. Without any fight, he immediately offered to replace the malfunctioning detectors at no cost. He requested that I return the bad detectors.

Two thumbs up for their customer support...

John
New Jersey

gary

Occupation
Retired electrical contractor / general contractor

Tim, the newer Firex smokes are designed to indicate which detector initiated the alarm. I don't have an installation sheet in front of me but I think the green light blinks on the activated unit. Even if the alarm de-activates, the green light will continue to blink to let the occupant know the alarm was tripped in case nobody was around to hear it. You have to push the test button to clear the memory and stop the blinking. Definitely a handy feature when it comes to tracking down the sort of problem you described, but few people seem to know about it. (Been install'n 'em for years so why should I read the manual?)

hurk27

Gary the new ones blink the red button and to reset I've had to power down the smokes and even remove the battery to get the thing to reset. as for the reading of the instruction well that's like us useing a map "I KNOW WHERE I'M GOING" :D

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

*** Another update ***

John, just to let you know I received (6) new (replacement) combination smoke/carbon monoxide detectors from Firex yesterday with NEW product DATE CODES. I'll be installing them soon and I'll let you know what the result is.

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.