Fire Water Flow Indication

Status
Not open for further replies.

winslowfam

Hi...I have a client who is trying to get feedback from his sprinkler systems in a chemical plant to indicate the flow of water. We were going to install non-contact inline flow switches in the valve houses' fire water lines feeding these sprinkler systems, but we have heard that the Code prohibits installing flow switches inline in fire water lines. Does anyone know where this is in the Code...I'm looking but haven't found it yet. Thanks.

ron

Re: Fire Water Flow Indication

I do not see anything in NFPA 13 excluding the use of waterflow switches on a hose connection, assuming the waterflow switch is listed for fire protection.

6.9 Waterflow Alarms.
6.9.1 General. Waterflow alarm apparatus shall be listed for the service and so constructed and installed that any flow of water from a sprinkler system equal to or greater than that from a single automatic sprinkler of the smallest orifice size installed on the system will result in an audible alarm on the premises within 5 minutes after such flow begins and until such flow stops.

6.9.2 Waterflow Detecting Devices.
6.9.2.1 Wet Pipe Systems. The alarm apparatus for a wet pipe system shall consist of a listed alarm check valve or other listed waterflow-detecting alarm device with the necessary attachments required to give an alarm.

websparky

winslowfam,

I see by your profile that you are a Consultant.

I also see you have made 4 post resently.

I also see members trying to help answer your questions.

I also see that you have NEVER responded to any of your posts.

IMO;

I for one consider your lack of manners unacceptable.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Ooops!!!! ;)

Roger

[ June 01, 2004, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

There should be an existing flow switch which sets off a bell. It is generally required to have a bell that alerts people that a sprinkler has gone off. It may be located near the tamper switch which should be near the valve on the riser.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.