fire suppression

Status
Not open for further replies.

enireh

got a call to a Vietnamese restaurant trying to open used place. I spoke with the fire supression guys on the phone they said change old contact and hookup system then they come out and test. There are three wires coming out of the micro switch and I would like to have a diagram. input?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
got a call to a Vietnamese restaurant trying to open used place. I spoke with the fire supression guys on the phone they said change old contact and hookup system then they come out and test. There are three wires coming out of the micro switch and I would like to have a diagram. input?

What are you doing with the micro switch? Turning on exhaust, shutting down make up air, tripping a shunt trip breaker, dropping out a contactor, or activating a solenoid gas shut off valve?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
activating a solenoid gas shut off valve

If there is a solenoid operated gas valve, there will also be a reset relay box. What brand of system, Pyro-Chem, Ansul, Kidde, Badger, ProTex, Range Guard?

enireh

fire suppression

its old and been painted over looks like a switch with three wires coming out on a diagram I found, it is in the area called a micro switch I'm thinking just change the contactor, make it up line side and let fire guys do the rest unless I can obtain a diagram and know exactly what I am doing

enireh

its old and been painted over looks like a switch with three wires coming out on a diagram I found, it is in the area called a micro switch I'm thinking just change the contactor, make it up line side and let fire guys do the rest unless I can obtain a diagram and know exactly what I am doing

its old and been painted over looks like a switch with three wires coming out on a diagram I found, it is in the area called a micro switch I'm thinking just change the contactor, make it up line side and let fire guys do the rest unless I can obtain a diagram and know exactly what I am doing​

iwire

Staff member

You are looking for a diagram of something that is often custom to each location.

You will need to work out the needed sequence of operations and figure out how to make that work.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
This was the sequence of operation from the last hood system I worked on. I'm not sure if it applies to you or not but it's a start :

Normal sequence of operation for exhaust hood

• Wall switch turns exhaust & make-up air on at the same time
• Thermostat on hood to be wired in parallel with exhaust fan so that in the event the exhaust fan is not manually switched on the thermostat will switch on the exhaust when it reaches a given temperature
• A light switch is provided for the hood light

Sequence of operation upon a manual extinguisher release

Micro-switch contact in extinguisher panel will operate auxiliary relays in a separate electric relay panel resulting in the following :
• Exhaust fan turns on or remains on
• Make-up air fan shuts down
• Hood light turns off
• Electric ovens (if any) turn off via shunt-trip circuit breakers in breaker panel

Notes :

1. Fire alarm system will be triggered via a second micro-switch in the extinguisher panel (if none are available an additional set of relay contacts must be provided in the auxiliary relay panel). This will be connected by another contractor.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.