Fire! Reading 10.6V from metal roof flashing to unused solar panel rack.(See pic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amperess

While troubleshooting the cause of metal roof flashing that produced an arcing between overlaps, that fluctuated between 7.2V and 10.7V. With heavy winds it shot up to 10.7-11Volts. The eave has caught fire in 3 separate locations. My readings were taken from the metal flashing covering the entire circumference of the roof, to the two large solar panel racks on the roof(not in use). New roof coating preventing clear view of conduit paths, I cut all visable connections from panels, to no avail. Temporarily, I ran ground from coldwater to flashing to rack. Any suggestions? See attached pic

Attachments

• 10.7V.jpg
    10.7V.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 0

mike7330

Turn the service off and check if you have your voltage on the roof. If the voltage is gone turn 1 circuit on at a time and see if voltage is there. You could have a or more circuits that has grounded into the roof panels.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
You have voltage. What is the current? AC? DC? How much? I would think you would have noticed a substantial arc giving the "burn" we see.

I have seen the sheet edges of metal sheathed buildings glow and arc when the EG of faulted equipment was not continuous. Kind of neat to see, but you have second thoughts about grabbing a disconnect handle.

hurk27

This sounds like a lost neutral problem that the neutral current is trying to flow through the roofing panels to get to the service riser, it's possible that the PV panels still have an EGC to them or a GEC that is causing the neutral flow to go to the PV panels then flow through the metal roof to the service riser which the service drop is connected to, if the neutral is lost in the main panel or disconnect or the meter base this would be possible, but don't go disconnecting the PV grounding unless you have unloaded the breakers on one leg of the main panel or you might end up causing damage to electrical equipment from over voltage, also turn off all two pole breakers and just turn on every other breaker to confirm a lost neutral, then be very careful that no one will touch anything that is grounded to the electrical system when this test is being done, take a voltage reading from one leg to neutral then the other to see if one goes up and one goes down in voltage.

SolarPro

If you don't understand what type of system you are dealing with and what type of hazards could be present, the best thing to do is get a qualified person on site. Assuming there is a PV array on the roof, one of the first things to check is whether the equipment is properly grounded. If not, there could be an undetected ground fault in the array. For example, perhaps a source circuit conductor is damaged and in contact with the metal roof. If so, as long as the sun is shining, the roof (and possibly the PV module frames and mounting system components) may be energized. Cutting the PV source circuit conductors doesn't necessarily change that fact, and arguably just increases the shock hazard. Depending on the type of system, there may also be other sources of voltage, such as batteries.

If the system is "unused" as suggested in the title, you might want to remove it. When removing or troubleshooting a PV system?if that's what you are dealing with?you'll need to assume that voltage is present, and conductive metal surfaces could be energized. If the array aperture are is small, you may be able to control the voltage placing a non-transparent cover over the modules. Working at night is also another option, but your work lights will still generate some voltage in the array.

Status
Not open for further replies.