fire pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

dross48

I have an apartment complex that is wanting me to mount a 200 amp disconnect outside with quick connects to be able to hook up a portable generator, in case of power outage, they are wanting a panel with certain loads to be applied there is also a fire pump that is being fed from power and light transformer the question is what are the requirements for this fire pump ? can I simply feed it through a manual transfer switch that is also supplying the panel?

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
I guess the first question to be asked is this "Is the fire pump required for this building based on NFPA 20 and the International Building Code"

Did the local AHJ determine that the existing fire pump being fed by the utility was "reliable" that it did not require a an alternate source of power as depicted in 695.3(B)(2)?

Is the "transfer switch" listed for fire pump service (695.3(I))?...if it is manual probably not.

IN 695.4 "Continuity of Power" is this manual transfer listed in accordance with 695.4(B)(1)(a)?...does not sound like it.

But without venturing too far down the path....(and some may say it does not matter) but is the fire pump is required it must have been approved where it was considered a reliable source....now it is possibly not being considered as such.

I am sure others will have some additional thoughts as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.