Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
1 micron or so less than the length of a domino

Hovevere, if you stack lots..
Actually there is no limit as long as you have enough dominoes and time.
The theoretical limit comes when 1/N, where N is the number of dominoes, is no longer a workable distance.

By then you may have extended hundreds of domino lengths.

The extent can be approximated by ln(n+1) where n is the number of dominoes you have stacked.

Last edited:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Actually there is no limit as long as you have enough dominoes and time.
The theoretical limit comes when 1/N, where N is the number of dominoes, is no longer a workable distance.

By then you may have extended hundreds of domino lengths.

The extent can be approximated by ln(n+1) where n is the number of dominoes you have stacked.

I say anyone who tries to figure this out (or cares), their "dominoes" have been knocked over a long time ago!:D

JFletcher

Ok. Removed the neutral splice at the pigtail and get voltage thru the filament to ground.

When the neutral is spliced Why/How is all that energy eaten up that there is no voltage to ground ?

I mean, if I spliced another wire also to that neutral connection and went to ground with that conductor, wouldn't that be running parallel neutral and ground for the return ??

Path of return (neutral to xfmr) is considerably less resistance than to ground. There is *some* voltage to ground but it's very low.

kwired

Electron manager
Path of return (neutral to xfmr) is considerably less resistance than to ground. There is *some* voltage to ground but it's very low.
Sort of on right track with that. There is often less resistance to local "earth" but not necessarily to an object that is well bonded to the grounded conductor back at/near the source. In that case there just isn't as much voltage drop on the grounding conductor because it is carrying less or even no current.

Status
Not open for further replies.