Fiber Optic cable in same raceway as power wires under 600 volts

Status
Not open for further replies.
First day on the job as Facility Maintenance Manager and I am presented with the installation of an underground pvc conduit that has 3 ungrounded and 2 grounded conductors in the same raceway as
a fiber optic line to provide data and power to a wireless router station and convenience receptacles for
30 + wireless computerized cash registers. I am told by the IT department that it meets code requirements.
The power wires will also be utilized for temporary lighting.
In lay terms, what are the NEC rules for this type of application?

Anyone?
Thanks,
Groundedforlife

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
First day on the job as Facility Maintenance Manager and I am presented with the installation of an underground pvc conduit that has 3 ungrounded and 2 grounded conductors in the same raceway as
a fiber optic line to provide data and power to a wireless router station and convenience receptacles for
30 + wireless computerized cash registers. I am told by the IT department that it meets code requirements.
The power wires will also be utilized for temporary lighting.
In lay terms, what are the NEC rules for this type of application?

Anyone?
Thanks,
Groundedforlife

Per the NEC 2011 edition, 800.133 (A) (2), the electric light, power, Class 1, etc has to be in a separate raceway, or metal-sheathed, metal-clad, non-metallic-sheathed, Type AC or Type UF cable to meet Exception No. 1 thereunder. Nekkid wires not allowed.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
As long as the fiber optic cable is all non-metallic, it is permitted to be installed in a raceway with power conductors, no matter what voltage that the power conductors are operating at.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
As long as the fiber optic cable is all non-metallic, it is permitted to be installed in a raceway with power conductors, no matter what voltage that the power conductors are operating at.
Article 800 does not apply to the fiber cables. Take a look at Article 770. 770.110(B)(2)

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety

OK, my bad. I should have been looking at 770.133. On the other hand, how do you functionally get around the restriction regarding occupying the same cabinet, outlet box, panel etc.? The OP is talking about work lights being powered by these conductors, and I'm having a hard time seeing that as "functionally associated" with the optical fiber.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
OK, my bad. I should have been looking at 770.133. On the other hand, how do you functionally get around the restriction regarding occupying the same cabinet, outlet box, panel etc.? The OP is talking about work lights being powered by these conductors, and I'm having a hard time seeing that as "functionally associated" with the optical fiber.
Is the fiber in the same enclosure as the electrical terminations?

Groundedforlife

Groundedforlife

No AC terminations in the same enclosure as fiber optic cable.
Thanks for your posts guys. It still seems to be vague to me.
Sometimes the codes leave us hanging. The AHJ or Electrical
inspector would have to make the call on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.