Fiber Cabinet Bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milton_Bryant

I am working in a Historic Building installing a Air Blown Fiber Backbone for a VoIP Solution. My problem is the building is made of brick and it doesn't have a multistory ground distribution system installed. In several rooms within the building I am installing a Wall mountable fiber cable housing and a wall mounted cabinet that will house a UPS and a network switch (Both units are double insulated). In some cases 120Vac power will be installed into the cabinet to provide power to the UPS and switch. I am trying to find the best way to ground theise cabinets without running several 3/0 cables throughout the building. Can someone direct me to a solution within the NEC or ANSI-J-STD-607? (I wish I had a copy of the ANSI standards)

Thanks

Milton

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Re: Fiber Cabinet Bonding

If you install powered equipment to the fiber box, then it should be bonded to the EGC for the powered equipment. If there is no power equipment in the fiber box, I see no need to bond it to the electrical system. If you are installing a large UPS, look at the drawings for the unit. They are often SDS, and will require a grounding electrode system and grounding electrode conductor.
Don

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: Fiber Cabinet Bonding

I am a bit baffled by why you would need to install a 3/0 cable to ground a 120V UPS and a comm switch.

Buy them plug and cord connected and run a 120V outlet to the room and plug the UPS into the outlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.