Feeder Tap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Yes, I agree this is not a tap and in that regard I agree with the AHJ. I'm just saying that the fusible disconnect is required at the point of connection is required. I'm agreeing with you that while these may not be service conductors they have to be treated as such, as you say, if the disconnect was at the outside end.
It is a tap (or splice)... just not subject to 240.21 tap rules because it is a service (or service entrance) conductor tap (or splice), and permitted under 230.33 (230.46). The tap (or splice) conductors must meet all the requirements for service (or service entrance) conductors, including load end OCP. With a fusible disconnect inside at/near the tap, the conductors from there to the outside combiner panel are feeders, and not required to be outside, or installed using a considered-outside method.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
It is a tap (or splice)... just not subject to 240.21 tap rules because it is a service (or service entrance) conductor tap (or splice), and permitted under 230.33 (230.46). The tap (or splice) conductors must meet all the requirements for service (or service entrance) conductors, including load end OCP. With a fusible disconnect inside at/near the tap, the conductors from there to the outside combiner panel are feeders, and not required to be outside, or installed using a considered-outside method.
It seems to me that just as with everything else in the PV world, there is some ambiguity as to which is the "load end". Current flows one direction under normal conditions and the other in the event of a fault. I sometimes feel like I have to stand on my head when trying to read and interpret the NEC for PV systems compliance.

I put that fused disco as close to the tap as I could get it out of fear of having long runs of unprotected conductors through a building, not because I found language in the code which required it. The AHJ didn't tell me to do it, either.

Last edited:

SolarPro

NEC 2014 addresses this:

705.31 Location of Overcurrent Protection
Overcurrent protection for electric power production source conductors, connected to the supply side of the service disconnecting means in accordance with 705.12(A), shall be located within 3 m (10 ft) of the point where the electric power production source conductors are connected to the service.

Informational Note: This overcurrent protection protects against short-circuit current supplied from the primary source(s) of electricity.

Exception: Where the overcurrent protection for the power production source is located more than 3 m (10 ft) from the point of connection for the electric power production source to the service, cable limiters or current-limited circuit breakers
for each ungrounded conductor shall be installed at the point where the electric power production conductors are connected to the service.

Status
Not open for further replies.